Disc Brake kits 521/520/320/620

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

;)

Just FYI at this point.....I've placed the orders for the cnc'd adapters and laser cut brackets.....so I'm doing another batch of 10. I've already got one prepaid order. I sold the last 10 without having to do ebay,.....this time I will probably put them up there to see what happens.

I'd love to get another couple of prepaids :) hhmm....I really need to do another for sale thread and instruction thread!! :) Oh well....it won't be tonight!!!!

Ridenbug happens to be the first prepaid.....waiting patiently until the new batch is finished. :)

Plates are ready, I'll pick them up today. Haven't heard from the machine shop...hopefully soon.

I couldn't help a wink to blow my cover. Its the excitement of getting my first cool upgrade

The friend I bought the truck from located a couple 720s in a wrecking yard. I just haven't yet had time to go pull the hubs. So I'm not in any hurry, Mike. I know they will get here and be well worth the wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a call the other day saying that they were starting on the adapters, but I haven't heard from them since...I'm really hoping I can go pick them up monday.

I've got the spacers made for the brackets. I need to make a couple of pieces for the welding jig, then I can see about getting them welded. I put a call into the welder, but haven't heard back....I may have to do them myself. Anyway....just wanted to put out an update :)

We'll see how they sell, but I'm guessing I'll still have a set then. I thought they were pretty much done selling, then the first of the year brought 4 more sales out of the blue. I wasn't sure I was even going to do another set until spring, but a prepaid order made the decision to do them now.

The brackets go to the welder today. I'm still hoping to hear from the cnc shop, since today is my one day off and I could go get the adapters :)

We'll see how they sell, but I'm guessing I'll still have a set then. I thought they were pretty much done selling, then the first of the year brought 4 more sales out of the blue. I wasn't sure I was even going to do another set until spring, but a prepaid order made the decision to do them now.

The brackets go to the welder today. I'm still hoping to hear from the cnc shop, since today is my one day off and I could go get the adapters :)

:D

I was making the pieces to mod the welding jig, just before taking the plates to the welder......found out that they cut 40 of the same tab...not 20 of each......so I've been playing phone tag all week, waiting to find out how/when they are going to fix the mistake. Hopefully, I can find out today that they'll have them ready by monday. I did pick up the bearing adapters.

Since the cut 40 of the long tabs, I can machine 20 of them down to short ones, but I'd much rather wait until they fix it! Especially since they raised their price by 30% on this batch!! :(

I can tell you Mike's kit is top quality and he's an awesome person to deal with. He helped me source the setup I have and the parts are well worth the wait. I have not installed them, but they're here waiting.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to work for what I need done and may put it back up for sale as I need to suck my suspension inboard about an inch or so for my setup.

We'll see.

Word travels in mysterious ways! ;)

Do not forget that it is income tax time & the Eagle shits dollars at this time! :cool:

Mike I think it is great that you are continuing to sell these kits. I also beleive you have a market for your spindle sleeves for bearing up grade.

The 78-79 620 hubs & the 80 720 hubs will take the small diameter center holed wheels with no machining.

This 1980 720 hub 1985 720 rotor & 1985 7s0 caliper with a small hubbed 320 wheel.

DSC00862.jpg

NOTE: The old stock wheels that are riveted the rivets drag on the caliper and some grinding on the caliper is required The 320 welded wheels fit with no problems.

I also have a set of stock wheels off a 74 620 that hit the caliper. these wheels have a flange on them that hit the caliper.

74620wheelnotes.jpg

Wait....you're saying the 620 rims don't fit? I checked the 320 rims and the 521 rims.....they cleared fine. The look the same as the one in your pic. I used to say that they may take a 1/4" spacer, but all the rims fit and no one has said they've had any probs.

This particular set drags on my calipers, they cam off a 74 620. Also the early 320 wheels with the round headed rivets also drag on my calipers. Mike this could be becuse I am using 1980 720 hubs which are the same as the 78-79 620 disk brake hubs for non vented rotors. The vented rotors are about 2 times as thick as the the non vented. It is a easy fix. Spin the wheels by hand a few times this will mark the calipers where the wheel hits. Take your grinder & grind a little where the mark is on the calipers and check for clearance. You do not even have to take off an 1/8th".

Also looking at the 620 wheel picture I posted the flanges on the wheels look bent I will check them tomorrow and report the findings.

I had 5 320 stock wheels, 3 were welded & 2 have round headed steel rivets. Burrito now has those wheels. He will run the welded wheels on the front & The riveted wheels on the rear leaving one of the welded wheels for the spare.

The hubs should be hole the rotor in the same position. ...hhhmmmm....maybe I'd better get the brakes on Mend so I can check this out a bit further. Better yet....if I put a set on Paula's 521, I can actually drive with them :)

I wonder if an 1/8" wheel spacer would push the rim out enough to clear?

......I suppose there's also a chance that I welded yours with less clearance. Yours were done before the welding jig was made. That could very well be the issue. I mocked each bracket up on a hub/rotor, but I didn't test fit each one in a rim. If I moved the caliper outboard a hair more on those..........

I've sold a few of these.....but I have no clue how many guys have actually mounted them up and run them. I barely hear back when the kit arrives......typically nothing about mounting them up and running them.

Hi Mike, I have no problems with these brackets. I think they are great. I believe that through the years Datsun/Nissan has used seveal different wheel manufacturers to supply their wheels. The is why I beleive that there is so many different designs of wheels out there. I am just giving back feed back on these brackets. Maybe mine are a hair off but I have no worries about these brackets being top quality. When Burrito213 gets his set on I will ask him to try the riveted wheels. He will be running 1980 720 king cab hubs that I have in my garage right now for him. If my brackets are a touch off I do not care because I have wheels that work with them. Your jig should eliminate any chance of your brackets being a hair off. Honestly I do not feel your brackets that I have are off, I think I ran across some oddities in wheels. Gene Knight has a set of Ameican Racing aluminum slot wheels that we are going to test fit on my truck hopefully next week to see if these clear the calipers. If his wheels work he will be ordering a set of brackets from you.

These bracket kits are the best mod I have done to my truck! This simple single mod I believe has made my truck 100 times safer.

Mike please reread my post # 146 as I corrected the typos. it is 320 weheels with the rivets not 620. The wheel I pictured is off a 74 620. Yes an 1/8" spacer would take care of this problem on my truck.

320 rims with rivets makes more sense! :) Not sure I had any that old to try....I think all of mine were welded.

I'd lay my money on the rims fitting....the datsun drum brake rims were the only ones that even came close to the caliper.....at least at the rim(outer diameter)....the back of the center is dependent on the style of the rim and how far the caliper sticks past the mounting face on the hub.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.