Disc Brake kits 521/520/320/620

My apologies!!! I'm sure that not everyone following this has been following the weld jig thread. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/24304-weld-jig-build If you have, then you know what I've been spending my time on. I'm pretty excited about the accuracy that this set should have! Anyway...I dropped the parts/jigs off at the welder's place last night. He said he's got major plans this weekend and that he can start on them monday. I'm hoping that I can pick them back up around wed...take them to the plater's before the end of the week. Get them back from the plater early the following week and start shipping.

Any of you 620 guys out there that want these need to speak up now so I can make sure I have enough metric hardware for the kits. I'm heading to a 3 week school for work in Oct...Paula can ship them while I'm gone, but that's only if I've boxed them up ahead of time. Since the 620 kits need the inner bearing adapters modified, I will not be able to do that while I'm gone....you'll be waiting a month to get yours....unless you pay for a kit by Oct 2nd.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I had some of mine plated at Eastside Plating in portland, great folks up there and they worked really hard to give me a good looking product for low prices.

clear zinc

This is what I like about Ratsun is the brotherhood of helping each other, even though Beebani makes & sells disk brake brackets also, Beebani & Mike help each other. It is really all about keeping these amazing vehicles on the road.

Good job Beebani & Mike on helping us make our Datsuns safer. Thank you!

I thought they'd call yesterday, but it was worth the wait! Here's the before and after with a couple of pics of the welds. These aren't my welds....they're way too pretty!

I should be able to start boxing/mailing in the next couple of days. The seals are in. I've got a couple of 620 guys that I need to machine the inner adapters for....if any other 620 guys are watching this...you need to buy your kit asap...I can't machine the adapters while I'm at school for 3 wks. :) ....anyway...

100_4324.jpg

100_4325.jpg

100_4327.jpg

100_4328.jpg

100_4329.jpg

100_4331.jpg

100_4332.jpg

100_4335.jpg

100_4336.jpg

100_4338.jpg

100_4341.jpg

Long day...I'll post up some pics, but no time right now...gotta sleep! :)

Modifying the inner adapter for the 620's.

100_4426.jpg

100_4430.jpg

Ready to ship tomorrow....did I mention it's been a long day??!!! :)

100_4432.jpg

Okay...these vids are kinda special. I've been really bothered about sending out kits with heat/shrink fit bearing adapters without having even tried one of them myself. And, since I'm leaving town for 3wks....I didn't want one of you guys to be the first to test it. So...Dave and I decided to test it on the bench. I managed to get the inner back of....no such luck on the outer....guess I'll need to order an extra on the next batch or make one :) Anyway....it worked out super simple!!! I was extremely pleased with how easy it was to get them on!!!! I had my concerns, but I'm lovin' this method a lot more than the ones that were loctited on. :)

Here ya go...

th_100_5718.jpg

th_100_5719.jpg

I made some pushrods for the m/c's today. I was going to put this up in the machine work thread, but I can't seem to find the dang thing! :( Even with a google search of ratsun! Anyway....

These are M8x1.25(?)x120mm in grade 10.9(equivalent to gr8 sae). They were about $4.89ea at Parkrose hardware....about $3 cheaper at Tacoma Screw! First...cut the head off, then turn down the step in the diameter so that it fits the cup of the m/c just like the stock push rod. Not sure if the 620 guys even need to worry about this, but the older trucks have a captured push rod, so when you do the upgrade, you have to come up with a push rod. :)

100_4402.jpg

100_4403.jpg

100_4404.jpg

100_4416.jpg

I originally tried to file the end round while it was on the lathe. The previous ones I've made I spun in a drill while grinding them with a bench grinder. I got tricky this time!! :) The one on the left is my best attempt with the file....I like the one on the right better!

100_4411.jpg

Not sure if Datrod is following this thread....which is why I wanted to put it in the machine work thread....anyway......I used my 1/8" round over cutter for my mill. It's used to make nice round edges on the mill. I used it as a profile cutter on the lathe and it worked pretty sweet!! The correct way to do it is with a ball turner attachment, but I don't have one yet... anyway... :)

100_4405.jpg

100_4406.jpg

100_4408.jpg

100_4418.jpg

I am going to go play on my lathe today, after seeing these pictures it think it has been way too long since I turned something out. Looks good Mike, you are a true asset to our little community here, as not too many people are left who can even think about how to do these things, let alone fab them up!

When santa comes I will be getting a set of brackets from you

Bill

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

geez.....I ship out 6 boxes(not all brake kits), only one guy pm's me and tells me he received it. :( I've had about 3 others tell me they want a kit and the money will be sent tomorrow.....so far, tomorrow hasn't come. I'm starting to remember why I have such a hard time getting motivated to do these kits. Don't even get me started on Joe Leggett in Bend who promised me six ways from sunday that he'd come buy my vg30 on Oct 10 and ended up being the typical craigslist flake. Anyway..... Time to get back to happy stuff :)

• Like 1

geez.....I ship out 6 boxes(not all brake kits), only one guy pm's me and tells me he received it. :( I've had about 3 others tell me they want a kit and the money will be sent tomorrow.....so far, tomorrow hasn't come. I'm starting to remember why I have such a hard time getting motivated to do these kits. Don't even get me started on Joe Leggett in Bend who promised me six ways from sunday that he'd come buy my vg30 on Oct 10 and ended up being the typical craigslist flake. Anyway..... Time to get back to happy stuff :)

I feel your pain Mike, I don't know how many members and ebay folks have promised me this and that lately and flake out, ignore phone calls and texts, etc. Man up, that's all I gotta say.

I don't have a prob with guys life/situation changing and they have to back out...... I do have a prob with them leaving me hanging. I could have sold the eng to another guy, but I was trying to be nice and hold the mtr for him based on his promise....and his "near begging" to hold it since he'd been looking for one around Bend for nearly a year. The least he could have done was to call or send an email saying that life threw him a curve ball. Guys like him make me want to send him a video titled "Sledge hammer meets vg30" LOL :) I'm the only one that loses if I do that. Oh well.....I guess we have flakes in this world to teach us some tolerance and patience. Maybe it's a sign that I still need to learn those lessons! :o

• Like 1

next time someone says he/she will buy your parts, tell them you need a deposit to hold it for them, give them X mount of time to pay and if not paid in full by agreed time, buyer forfeits his deposit. Also get it in writing so no legal crap later, like a small contract.

also would like to say Mike, your brackets are awesome, enough said.

now back to Disc Brake kits 521/520/320/620 and a bump.

YES, ALL CAPS!

MIKE, SORRY MAN, I AM TAKING AN AMBULANCE/EMT SCHOOL SO I MISS OUT ON THE SIMPLE THINGS LIKE GIVING YOU FEEDBACK AS TO SHIPMENT....

YES, I DID RECIEVE THE PACKAGE BUT I HAVENT GONE PAST THE POPCORN BECAUSE MY CLASS HAS ME STUDYING LIKE CRAZY...

THANK YOU! X 1000,00000,00,0,000

IT CAME ON TIME, SHIPPED QUICK, WISH I COULD AFFORD ANOTHER BUT I WILL BE HAPPY WITH WHAT I GOT NOW...NOW I'M OFF TO BUYING THE ACCESSORIES TO MAKE THE KIT WORK PER "CHARLIE69's" ORDERS/RECOMMENDATION.

THANKS AGAIN. :D

Glad to hear they've showed up and that you guys like them. Merlin....nearly a week? Is that about normal for priority to you? I was surprised at how cheap it was....there wasn't enough of a difference to have you pay it, so I just absorbed it.

I'm looking forward to seeing some install threads :)

Transactions have been awesome with the guys that have bought....I was starting to wonder if they had shown up, but that's been cleared up. There's always a few false starts when I do these, but it's worth it thanks to the guys that do follow through :)

Thanks guys!!!

(....seriously....pm me a link when you start posting pics :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.