620 - 5 speed wanted

Does anyone have a1979, 620 5 speed tranny for sale? It might be just as affordable to have mine rebuilt, and if so, are parts available for a rebuild?

I have a lot of play in the gear shifter. Right now it is stuck in reverse, but the shifter is in the 5th gear position. How can I get it back into nuteral without removing the transmission?:confused:

Edited by jjhains
wrong place
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have a1979, 620 5 speed tranny for sale? It might be just as affordable to have mine rebuilt, and if so, are parts available for a rebuild?

I have a lot of play in the gear shifter. Right now it is stuck in reverse, but the shifter is in the 5th gear position. How can I get it back into nuteral without removing the transmission?:confused:

Shifter bushings will usually remove most of the slop. Two of these: # 32855 H1010. One of these: #32861 N4200.

If you remove the boot can you see the shift lever move to the rear going into 5th and forward going into reverse.??

• 2 weeks later...

at the risk of repeating myself in another thread...

How do you fit these bushings?

If you can't buy em (I live in Thailand) is there a "heath robinson fix"? I heard somebody mention washers?

All and Any help appreciated.

Its definitely easiest to just get the Datsun bushings but if you can't get them, you could accomplish the same thing with one bronze or nylon bushing and two washers. First you remove the circlip and pin that holds the shift lever in the transmission and pull the lever up and out. Don't loose the circlip or pin.

The remains of the original nylon bushings might still be in the round eye of the shift lever. The new bushing needs to fit inside the eye with no slop. The pin needs to fit through the bushing, with no slop. You could probably get a local machine shop to turn the bushing in bronze.

The washers should fill the gap(one on each side)between the shift lever and the two vertical mounting tabs when the lever is fit back down into the transmission, so their thickness is critical. The diameter of the hole in the washers should just allow the pin to pass through.

You don't want to drop the washers down into the transmission while you're trying to install them or you're screwed. That's probably the main reason to try and order the nylon Datsun bushings on the internet.

Everything should be greased when its assembled so it all moves freely.

Edited by Orange620

the part numbers you listed, are those a nissan part #? just wanted to verify because my nissan dealer has an idiot for a parts guy

Shifter bushings will usually remove most of the slop. Two of these: # 32855 H1010. One of these: #32861 N4200.

If you remove the boot can you see the shift lever move to the rear going into 5th and forward going into reverse.??

the HELP brand doorhinge kit at Schucks will work 38377 or 38374(has assortment of bushings.

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=DOR&MfrPartNumber=38377

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=DOR&MfrPartNumber=38374

pull the E clip and find the bushin the the pin place in vice and sqeeze it in there.

the plastic cup part you need the kit as Datzenmike said.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.