KA swapped 510 with some sort of fuel issue... pls help!!

Ryan@CiNcity

my KA is running really really rich. if im at WOT and keep it there into the higher RPMs it hits some sort of fuel cut. now im not 100% sure that is what is happening but thats the best i can come up with. i used to hit fuel cut in my DSM but that was like hitting a brick wall it was so rough. with my KA its more like hitting a speed limiter in a new pickup. it cuts all power for a few seconds then it comes back to life and its fine. but it smells like alot of fuel...... thats why im not sure its fuel cut.....

anyways im looking for some info on my problem and i have a few ideas to try out, so any more would be great.

my main one is that im running an automatic ECU in my 5spd.... how big of a deal is this? im looking for a 5spd ECU at the moment but was wondering if i need to stay with a SOHC ECU or if i can upgrade to a newer one....or if there is even any benefit to doing so.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the SOHC ka.

you wanting pics of the car or a video of the problem? i could probably get a video but it wouldnt be till the weekend. pics of the car though i have alot.

the maf is hooked up and one of my buddies believes the problem is with the maf. he suggested unplugging it and running the car to see if it creates the same problem but the car went into limp mode so that didnt work.

and the auto is better? this limiter im assuming is a speed limiter? does that apply to the motor specifically or just if the motor was still in a 240?

i should also mention im new to both datsuns and 240 motors. i just got rid of my DSM's a year or so ago, so i still have alot to learn.

EDIT: i just made a project thread so here is the link to that if you wanna check it out...... http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=11588

Edited by Ryan@CiNcity

You have to have a number 11 ECU. All the rest of the single cam ones cut out. That is your reving problem, I'm not sure why it's running rich. There are a few things that could do this. TPS, MAF, temp sensor are a few things to check.

you sir are a genius!! i have a 10 in my car now...... i will have to look for a 11 now.

what are they out of (year? 89-90?)

The number 10 is the 5 speed.. it should still work but will only cut out in 5th gear at around 3500 rpm. (I've tried different ECU's auto and 5speed and they all work).

I'm thinking it's the MAF, because the one time I unplugged it and tried to run it it did the same thing you described.

The number 10 is the 5 speed.. it should still work but will only cut out in 5th gear at around 3500 rpm. (I've tried different ECU's auto and 5speed and they all work).

I'm thinking it's the MAF, because the one time I unplugged it and tried to run it it did the same thing you described.

When they are wired into a 510 all the single cam ecu's cut at around 4500ish except the 11. I looked on every sight I could find, read every diagram, and still couldn't see any "extra" wiring, or any differences. So I just gave up and make sure if I do a single cam swap I get an 11 ECU.

I would try cleaning the MAF as well though, that never hurts. I think the running rich and high RPM cut are 2 separate problems. Single cams tend to run rich from my experience as well.

yeah i believe now too that there are 2 sep. problems. but my biggest one was the cutting out issue. its super annoying when merging onto the interstate and like you said hitting 4500 or so and it cutting out. it was really wierd too cause it only happened in 4th and 5th i think. i could rip in 1st and 2nd and almost always in 3rd.

man im glad this issue is near finished. ill be so happy. another gut was saying that the SOHC's run kinda rich in his experiance so after the cutting out issue is fixed ill tackle that and see where i get with it.

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/ECU-ID.PDF

so i got a guy that has 2 ECUs for sale and neither are #11...... is #11 the ONLY ones that will work? i looked these numbers up on that link posted above and i realized i really dont know what numbers will fix my problem and what numbers wont.

here are the numbers if anyone that knows more than me can figure it out.

#14 (manual) a11-b13 g58 9201

#15 (auto) a11-b18 g14 0z21

Trust me guys I've wired TO many KA's and know that only the 11 will work with the single cam engine. I've tried all the other ones and the problem is still there. I couldn't find a straight answer anywhere so I gave up. I also noticed that the cutting out problem was worse in the higher gears which is weird because I never wire up any of the tranny sensor besides the back up lights. No other engine has that problem.... Who knows....

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/ECU-ID.PDF

so i got a guy that has 2 ECUs for sale and neither are #11...... is #11 the ONLY ones that will work? i looked these numbers up on that link posted above and i realized i really dont know what numbers will fix my problem and what numbers wont.

here are the numbers if anyone that knows more than me can figure it out.

#14 (manual) a11-b13 g58 9201

#15 (auto) a11-b18 g14 0z21

i think i saw one on ebay

• 2 weeks later...
You have to have a number 11 ECU. All the rest of the single cam ones cut out. That is your reving problem, I'm not sure why it's running rich. There are a few things that could do this. TPS, MAF, temp sensor are a few things to check.

Yeah don't take all the credit for that one Jeff, whos the one that figured that out????

Hey just of information, what maf are you running?

Is it metal or plastic and does it have a number on the side like N-60 or N-62? N-60 is from a maxima and the N-62 is from the Z32. I don't recall what the stock ka maf was I just remember its metal and has a really low flow rate.

Also do you have the speed sensor hooked up to the transmission/speedo cable?

I bet there is another way round this than the must use #11 ECU in a 510. I bet its ether the speedo cable thing or the swap had the wrong MAF/ECU combo

I can make a chip for those ECU's with no speed limit or rev limit. Which would fix the falling on its face at speed problem. The blank chips are getting a little hard to find these days though.

-Avery

Yeah don't take all the credit for that one Jeff, whos the one that figured that out????

Haha okay if yours didn't run like shit we would have never figured it out :D haha :D I'll give you the credit if you get me the CV shaft off that Z!! :D

Haha okay if yours didn't run like shit we would have never figured it out :D haha :D I'll give you the credit if you get me the CV shaft off that Z!! :D

Ok ok I used your computer in my car so WE figured it out, you'll get it sooner or later, you know how I am!