California Registration Question

I figured this would as good a place as any to ask this question. If a California car has back registration fees own on it and you take it out of state, are you responsible to pay the fees? I am trying to get confirmation from the seller on how much we are talking.

The fun you have to go through because Cali has all the 510's :lol: I have seen one in Austin, TX.... one was enough :)

Joe.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume the fees owed on the vehicle will follow it wherever you take it. The seller should either take care of the fees or drop the price of the car. This is a possibility too, the car may have parking tickets on it which is why the reg. got backed up..just a thought.

I figured this would as good a place as any to ask this question. If a California car has back registration fees own on it and you take it out of state, are you responsible to pay the fees? I am trying to get confirmation from the seller on how much we are talking.

The fun you have to go through because Cali has all the 510's :lol: I have seen one in Austin, TX.... one was enough :)

Joe.

No matter what the seller says

DMV has the final say how much the fee is.

Call the 800 number for DMV with the license plate of the car

They should be able to tell you how much

I sold a car to my ex-mother-inlaw. For 200 it had 2 year back tags on it. She paid 2 years reg from Cali plus fees. Came to 205 dollars in texas and reg was only 58 a year. Expect to pay double ever year its not current. As the years go on they start droping some of the fees. After 7-9 years it drops off the computer system and no fee are owed.

No matter what the seller says

DMV has the final say how much the fee is.

Call the 800 number for DMV with the license plate of the car

They should be able to tell you how much

No matter what the Ratsunner's say, TEXAS DMV has teh final say on what you have to pay to register an out of state car here... :mellow:

So...

This one 510 you've seen in Austin, describe it for me. 2 door, 4 door, or wagon? Was it driving around or stationary? There are some around (and some of us know where:cool:)...

And pics, we like pics...

Thanks for all the info guys...

From my reading, it looks like I would be responsible for the $500 (that's what I am told is owed) in registration fees only if I tried to register it in CA. If the seller fills out a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability, then I am sure they would want to collect that $500 from the seller.

I guess if I get real serious about this, I'll the CA DMV.

Joe.

zhent - yeah you are probably right.... like I said... if I get real serious, I'll do my homework.

The one I saw was up North, it's white, 2 dr and had some hella driving lights. It was parked in a parking lot so I assume it's road worthy. I suspect it was the one that was for sale recently on CL. I'll snap a pic if I see it again.

Joe.

Edited by Smilin Joe
zhent - yeah you are probably right.... like I said... if I get real serious, I'll do my homework.

The one I saw was up North, it's white, 2 dr and had some hella driving lights. It was parked in a parking lot so I assume it's road worthy. I suspect it was the one that was for sale recently on CL. I'll snap a pic if I see it again.

Joe.

Ahhh... That one belongs to Brandon, "rusty510" here...

It's a work in progress.

Joe.

No matter what the Ratsunner's say, TEXAS DMV has teh final say on what you have to pay to register an out of state car here... :mellow:

So...

This one 510 you've seen in Austin, describe it for me. 2 door, 4 door, or wagon? Was it driving around or stationary? There are some around (and some of us know where:cool:)...

And pics, we like pics...

That's why I didn't specify which state DMV it is.

I just said "DMV"

Isn't better information straight from them as oppose to facts here and there or they say, he say, she say.....

Plus, DMV can be forgiving sometime

My friend just registered his car with no penalty and registration was late for 2 years. Seller said, "it's been Non-op" yeah right.

Edited by pl521sss
error
That's why I didn't specify which state DMV it is.

I just said "DMV"

Isn't better information straight from them as oppose to facts here and there or they say, he say, she say.....

Plus, DMV can be forgiving sometime

My friend just registered his car with no penalty and registration was late for 2 years. Seller said, "it's been Non-op" yeah right.

Heck, I do that every year. I drive my 240sx so little I always register it late, and I always tell them it was non-op in the interim. As long as you don't get a ticket driving it with expired registration, they kind of have to take your word for it.

...registered his car with no penalty and registration was late for 2 years. Seller said, "it's been Non-op" yeah right.

:cursing: exactly what happened to me!!!

was non-op for 3 yrs, then for some reason taken out and PO hadnt paid for the last 2 years.

they waived the penalities (:eek: $375 :fu:) and i just had to pay the reg for those 2 years.

So where are all the dime's hiding in town?

Well...

I've got a pair of wagons.

There's Brandon's 2-door

There's a sweet black V8 2-door in north Austin.

The parts manager at Round Rock Nissan has a 2-door and a wagon (he might sell).

One of the sales guys at Round Rock Honda has an Orange 4-door.

There's a wagon in South Austin that's been converted into a 2-door and is currently getting a VG30 installed.

And I know of another wagon sitting on a driveway in Pflugerville, though I've never met the owner and never seen the car move.

Those are the ones I've seen in person or talked to the owner of, then there's the rumors...

Somewhere in south Austin is a house with 4 in the back yard, and out near lakeway another guy has a couple. These pop up on Craigslist every so often, but they've not run in years and the guy wants way too much for them.

There was a 4-door sold on Craigslist in Round Rock last month for $1000.

And...

I know people elsewhere who have a bunch of them and usually buy/sell/trade them with interested others...

In Texas getting into a 510 take a bit of luck and perseverance.

Yikes. In Washington there are no 'back' registration fees. If you don't drive it for a year, you can just get new tags for the upcoming year. No need to pay for a year you didn't drive the car.

Why would they charge back fees? Just because they can? And how would they enforce back fees if you live in another state?

I had someone give me a 1971 Triumph Spitfire.

There was about $200 in back fees due on it.I gave

him $1 for it so I could keep the fees down.I gave it

to a guy in Salem,Oregon.He told me that he didn't

have to pay any back fees to get it registered.

When you buy a car in California,you want to

make sure that there are no back fees due,& that it

passes smog (if applicable).If it's not still in the computer,

you don't owe any back fees.

If you sell a car in California,you want to go

online to the DMV site & enter the information.I wasn't

aware of this,so I'd keep receiving renewel notices from

them.

- Doug

So where are all the dime's hiding in town?

And by the way...

I bought my second 510 in Ft. Worth, so if you really want one you may have to look outside the central Texas area. I'm guessing it's your Craigslist ad I keep seeing in Austin.

Blue 4-door in Dallas -> http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/1130357449.html

Primer 2-door in Houston -> http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1110405114.html

And by the way...

I bought my second 510 in Ft. Worth, so if you really want one you may have to look outside the central Texas area. I'm guessing it's your Craigslist ad I keep seeing in Austin.

Blue 4-door in Dallas -> http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/1130357449.html

Primer 2-door in Houston -> http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1110405114.html

Nope, not my ad... I have never been one to post wanted ad's, but this might be the place to start. I keep my eye on all the regional CL listings (and some that aren't). Luckily I am not in a hurry. I emailed the guy in Houston... he still has it. I think he wants a bit more than it's worth. I might get down there to check it out if I can ever leave work :)

I am specifically looking for a 2dr unless a 4dr comes along that's too good to pass up. Preferably a driver (or very close). I don't want someone's hacked up nightmare.

Joe.