I think she is running a little warm HELP ME LOL

OK my 1974 Datsun 620's temp gauge tends to go up to the H every now and again . I put it in the shop and spent almost $1500 on it , I told them to make it a daily driver (DEPENDABLE) . So they put a new radiator on it a electric fan on the front of the radiator that covers the whole thing and a new thermostat. Most of the time the temp gauge stays in the middle , but sometimes it goes to the H . However it does not smell hot but I don't want to blow a head gasket or anything like that PLEASE HELP SHE IS MY DAILY DRIVER :(

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK my 1974 Datsun 620's temp gauge tends to go up to the H every now and again . I put it in the shop and spent almost $1500 on it , I told them to make it a daily driver (DEPENDABLE) . So they put a new radiator on it a electric fan on the front of the radiator that covers the whole thing and a new thermostat. Most of the time the temp gauge stays in the middle , but sometimes it goes to the H . However it does not smell hot but I don't want to blow a head gasket or anything like that PLEASE HELP SHE IS MY DAILY DRIVER :(

Radiator, fan and new thermostat for $1500!!! :eek:

when it goes to H, can you hear the fan running?

Ill do a tune up for 500$ and you buy the parts. That should fix it :lol::lol::lol::lol:

man shop around before you drop that much dime. I hope it's a griffon radiator and a top of the line rolls royce fan set up.

lmao im sorry but $1500 is alot of money to make a datsun dependable.. you could prolly make 2-3 datsuns dependable with that cash.. im not tryin to diss but workin on these rigs is easy, very easy...

as for your problem, when does it happen??? hot days? cold days? while driving?? while stopped??

mines goes hot sometimes, but then again its revving reallly high doing 85 on the freeway. Ive replaced the thermostat and flushed the system. I havnt quite determined what the culprit is to be honest. Today on the way to work i blew a heater hose, barely made it to work...stop and go traffic, had to shut it off, start it, etc.

I would just replace all the cooling system components one by one, but Im searching for a decent priced ka24e swap so ill replace as need be untill i can find one at a reasonable price, was looking for a 91-97 hardbody for parts...or not, but for the motor trans...no way in hell im paying 3k for a dropped (spindled/leafed) hardbody, thats rusted and dented and spray painted flat black...

enough off topic ranting, if you have a new rad, fan, thermostat, and your still overheating, what does that leave you? head gasket or waterpump issue, thats all i can think of...unless your temp sensor is shot

...or you have no oil, but i doubt your motor would last long...you get the point

Edited by sanitys

temp sensor could be flaky. also check the wiring. i know my 78 does that but i have leaky radiator. also check the cap pressure. my 78 , when i got it was running a 20lb cap, and it should be a 13lb cap. i know you say its got a new rad, new fan, new t-stat. hows the water pump?? hoses??

My Toyota truck temp guage would shoot into the red suddenly. Real frightening it was. BUT it was not overheating - the engine earths(ground) were bad, causing current to run through the gauge. Next time it overheats, open the hood and grab the inlet and outflow pipes from the rad - feel if the water is being cooled by the rad or not.

Edited by zed

Could also be your carb is too lean. Is it original or are you running a Weber? And 116 degrees in Phoenix tends to tax cooling systems way more than up here. (Used to live in Mesa for a year) My hardbody never had problems, but even in Spokane, my 620 gets up to the H if I keep it pegged to the floor on the freeway on really hot days. So I cruise at 75 instead and she's okay with that.

But anyway, we need more information on when your truck is overheating and what all has been done.

when dose it usually get hot? just driving around? traffic? freeway?

did they leave the fan clutch and mechanical fan on?

the factory fan is one it has a electric fan now . It got hot driving about 35 mph going to work

Edited by slam_dat_sun
add text
It got hot driving about 35 mph going to work

HOT as read from the gauge?

any way to verify the temp at the time w/an external thermometer?

water pump turns freely and the belt is tight?

still sounds like a bad NEW thermostat...

Radiator, fan and new thermostat for $1500!!! :eek:

when it goes to H, can you hear the fan running?

well i had a lot more work done than that for $1500 im not stupid :lol: . i have the adjustable switch on it and it kicks on at 160 degrees

lmao im sorry but $1500 is alot of money to make a datsun dependable.. you could prolly make 2-3 datsuns dependable with that cash.. im not tryin to diss but workin on these rigs is easy, very easy...

as for your problem, when does it happen??? hot days? cold days? while driving?? while stopped??

i realize that they are easy to work on bot i work many many hours a day and dont have time to do it myself , hell i got a huge tool box that you cant tell what color it is due to the thickness of dust:blink:

Lots of variables here..we need specific details as mentioned above. Could be a bad stat, collapsing lower hose, not enough anti freeze etc...

well the hose is good , I put 2 different stats in it and its nothing but antifreeze in it