Legal question

This morning on my way to the last day of work, my hood unexpectedly flew up and off on the freeway. it didnt come off the right hand mount so it didnt hit anyone. it just flew up and broke both my windsheild wipers off and then hung until i pulled over. since i wasnt too far from home, i drove gently and dropped it off since it was too bent to fit back on right. :mad:

my question is, is it legal to drive without a hood in california?

i drove it anyway but i'm just wondering if i will get a ticket for this, or if it will just be a fix it ticket or what?

thanks guys!

-trevor

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaimesix
This morning on my way to the last day of work, my hood unexpectedly flew up and off on the freeway. it didnt come off the right hand mount so it didnt hit anyone. it just flew up and broke both my windsheild wipers off and then hung until i pulled over. since i wasnt too far from home, i drove gently and dropped it off since it was too bent to fit back on right. :mad:

my question is, is it legal to drive without a hood in california?

i drove it anyway but i'm just wondering if i will get a ticket for this, or if it will just be a fix it ticket or what?

thanks guys!

-trevor

Sorry about your mishap.

About hoodless cars, VW Bugs do it all the time. I do not think it is against the law. Worst case you would get a fixer ticket.

Jaime.___________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix

Yes, I do not think you will have any problems. Had it been a swapped in performance monster engine, ion that case you'd be better hidding it from cops, but if stock, no problemo.

Plus you can explain to the cop what happened, the hinge broke off and the hood broke the glass. It is in the process of repair.

Like I said, if an ass cop gives you a hard time, the most you would get is a fixer ticket, and on your way you go.

Jaime._________________________________________________________

Yes, I do not think you will have any problems. Had it been a swapped in performance monster engine, ion that case you'd be better hidding it from cops, but if stock, no problemo.

Plus you can explain to the cop what happened, the hinge broke off and the hood broke the glass. It is in the process of repair.

Like I said, if an ass cop gives you a hard time, the most you would get is a fixer ticket, and on your way you go.

Jaime._________________________________________________________

thanks.

it didnt actually break the glass, but instead took both of my widsheild wipers completely off (20 dollar repair compared to new windsheild.)

lol i think i get the same amount of attention.

just 2 days ago a cop pulled along side me and said "nice car" and gave me a thumbs up.

gotta love the dime...

Your state's laws are probably online for you to look up.

In Washington it is clearly stated to be against the law not to have a hood. Only exceptions are for cars prior to a certain year. Most laws are exempt on 1950 and older. Not something Datsuns qualify for.

It IS illegal, sadly... But with an old car like ours, it's doubtful you'll get any trouble for it, and if you do, I'm sure they'd just give you a warning (explain what happened, and keep the broken wipers as proof!). My older brother drove several Datsuns around for ages with no hood with no problems...

Trouble or not, it just looks cool!

IMG_6365.jpg

Guest jaimesix
i was pulled over back in high school for no hood on a vw rabbit the cop said it was a safety issue and gave me a fix it ticket

I was looking on line for any hood requirements/regulations in the vehicle code, the only hood related items I found where related to fog lamps located over the hood line ( ie 4X4 lamps on roof ) which are not to blind the driver by reflecting on the hood....

About the safety issue, off course it would be a safety issue. Oil, debril fumes could come about and diminish visibility...all kinds of arguments about safety can be made. Nobody advocates for dirving w/o a hood, but in this case, compelled by the situation, there is no other way.

If a cop wants to give a hard time, and bring his safety issue as excuse to bring you into a traffic stop ...

...( real motive he would have is to check your DL, registration and make sure you have your insurance card... yes, I got a ticket for not having the insurance card with me....I told the cop...the new law states that no car can be registered in CA w/o insurance, DMV is notified electronically if that is the case, so you know I have insurance....idiot gave me the ticket anyways....$25 dollars is the "administrative fee"...damn thieves )...

...cops, at least around here, are running up and down like freaked out hens looking to issue citations for whatever reason they can, in order to raise money....so watch out, make sure you have the insurance card and your registration / DL in order.

The only ticket you could get if one of those hen cops stops you is a fixer ticket. You can fight it too, by explaining to a judge that it was no modification of the vehicle on your part, but a freak accident caused by a 30 something year old hood lock breaking off.

Cops are notorious for using the argument of "safety" when ever it is convenient to them.

Talk about "safety" when they go in their irresponsable car chases, killing unsuspecting bystanders and drivers alike , like it happened here in So Cal about 3 weeks ago, when an idiot cop ran a red light, w/o her police sirens nor lamps on....broadsiding a family, killing the mother and daughter, leaving the father badly hurt!

Jaime.__________________________________________________________

Edited by jaimesix
misspelling

thanks for all the responses guys.

im just gonna go hoodless for a little while.

it does look a hell of a lot cooler, and also keeps the engine a hell of a lot cooler. i couldnt even get it to barely warm up this morning with no hood.

lol yea antioch sucks now.

ugh.

It IS illegal, sadly... But with an old car like ours, it's doubtful you'll get any trouble for it, and if you do, I'm sure they'd just give you a warning

winner!

i was told its a safety thing, so parts dont go flying in a collision :lol:

i got hassled before for no hood, no tickets.

officer, im just out on a test drive :)

im not in cali but i've drivin my datto around w/o a hood a few times.. i drove my wrecked se-r with no hood bumper or fenders accross town twice.. either time i've drivin with out a hood i havent seen any po po's .. guess im lucky lol, oh ya fwd burnouts with out fenders an hood is cool.. lots of smoke everywhere hehe

moral of the story is make sure your fucking hood is latched :lol: i dont think it will be an issue one time when i had a small fender bender with my moms suburban (long story short burban vs datto datto loose) i had all the front sheet metal off my car for 2 months the cops here didnt give a shit :P

Like they said, it is illegal. But only if a cop is really bored, needs a quota, you have something else wrong, or he suspects you of something more illegal will he even bother. Yes, old ford Ts without hoods are running illegal, but they can go fenderless as they are under 1500lbs.