best way to remove powder coating from wheels?

Whats the best way to remove powder coating from aluminum wheels? I'm restoring some watanabe rs8's which powder coat has flaked off a bit in a few places. I tried blasting them with some fine glass media in a cabinet but it really has only taken if off in a few places and isn't even doing anything to most of it.

Should I move to a sand media, or is there a better method? Since the wheels are 2 piece I dont have to worry about ruining the lip on the wheel. I am just doing the center piece.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my pannasports done with a walnut shell blast. That stuff is really hard to get off.

If you use sand it can eat away at the base aluminum. But if your going to recoat them it won't matter. When I did mine I wanted to polish the lip.

So I guess that's why they used the shell. It took forever to get it off.

I had my pannasports done with a walnut shell blast. That stuff is really hard to get off.

If you use sand it can eat away at the base aluminum. But if your going to recoat them it won't matter. When I did mine I wanted to polish the lip.

So I guess that's why they used the shell. It took forever to get it off.

bingo

yeah I will be redoing them, not sure if I will powder coat or paint them though. I may try paint first as it is easier to remove and see how I like gold centers.

I may try sand. my outter portion of the wheel is polished and cleared so no need to worry about that, its just the center second piece that is powder coated.

best thing to remove powder coat that ive found is good ole Permatex Gasket Remover

80646.jpg

Simply spray on a liberal coating to the part you are trying to strip, and wait 10-15 minutes. Be sure not to get any on areas that you do not want stripped.

After 10-15 minutes, the powder coating will bubble and peel. Wipe off the gasket remover and loosened powder coating with a disposable rag. You may need to reapply as some areas will be missed the first time.

Make sure to wash with wax and grease remover before you try to repaint.