Toyota Hemi!! and other vintage JDM v8's

1965-73

Not true, 65-73 was the y40 not y44 and then in 75 they bumped displacement .4, slapped EFI on it and used it all the way up till 89.

Edited by 72240z
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well then that sounds right. buick sold the tooling for the 215/300 and the v6 in the mid sixties. i know rover bought the design, but i didnt know that a jap company did too. i think another company called 'leyland' bought the designs too. look up 'leyland p76'

check this out.

001.jpg

left to right: Buick/olds 215, Rover 3.9, Leyland P76 4.4

I believe Leyland was the parent company for Rover.

I almost put an Olds 350 I have in the 59 210. But after we built the narrow MII front end it didn't fit.

where do i find ones of these? let alone aftermarket support?

NISSAN FD46T, 4CY, 4617CC, 170@3100

would probably require a ton of money and all custom parts, but would definately make a one of a kind 620 if the motor/trans would all fit

seems to be a bus motor, doubt theres any sort of support for it...

http://msc-china.com/transportation/busc_cc6790.htm

Edited by sanitys

hell, size would definately be an issue, but....

http://www.cvc.co.nz/dbsweb/CVTWDVCL.pgm?MACH=0000161&VRID=mjaMyBQbxGlz9EwUKU96LcJ4TA120421

12 speed

385 hp

just from the little bit of research due to this thread there are quite a few nissan motors that i wouldnt mind trying to transplant into the 620, too bad my wallet has a bottom

I believe Leyland was the parent company for Rover.

I almost put an Olds 350 I have in the 59 210. But after we built the narrow MII front end it didn't fit.

Purple how would something like a 350 handle in a little 59 210? I know nothing about putting huge engines in tiny cars. Could you still daily it? Or would it be so unruly, it'd be all over the road? Fatter tires?

I read that the '59 has a curb weight of 2039 lbs. Which is about 150lbs lighter than a 521. The 620 is 2286 lbs. And I've seen v8's in them.

But the wheel base on the 620 is 101.1" and the '59 is 87.4" that is a 14" difference. Is that a huge deal for popping up? Course you'd have to extend the front axle forward to fit the V8, which would mean extending the frame if one wanted to keep the Parallel front leaf spring suspension. So that would offset the difference.

Heh maybe put a moontank on the front and fill it with cement to keep the nose down!!

Well heck I just read the Cobra only has a 3 inch longer wheelbase than the '59 210. (But about a 10" wider track.) And the Cobra is about 400lbs heavier. But a bit of that has to be the engine.

Hemi is a cool name for the hemisphercal (or something like that) cubustion chamber design with the plug dead center between the valves.They were made famous by Big Daddy Don Garrletts and his mopar hemi powered dragsters.

I too love the big wide valve covers they are so cool:D

For a little car like the 59 210 I would look for a all alum. old rover V/8 they are light and sound realy realy nice. You get that american hot rod look and sound with a small displacment engine that is nice and light and will handle and stop well in the car like the 210 you could still use small disc brake setup from a Z Car or the like.

Dad has a Triumph TR8 with that engine with two sidedraft webers feeding it and headers. You wouldn't beleave how mean it sounds with supertrap mufflers! Not a hemi but I think you would be very happy:)

^^ I think that'd be bas ass Warf. But if I were to do this for real,

i'd really try to make it a jap engine!

Not that it would be my reason, but if someone were to make pre 60's all Japanese nostalgia hotrod, I bet some wealthy tokyo buisness man would want to buy it for big Yen!!

well from the looks of the toyota hemi, youll prolly have any aluminum block and heads, which reduce the weight substantially.

ive built and drove 3 v8 luvs. all of which had all cast iron smallblocks. the handling isnt thrown off too much, but they were nothing to write home about when they were stock. i dont think your going for an all out handling monster with this project. prolly just to drive it for the power and the cool factor. the key to the engine swap is to get the motor as low as you can. the lower the center of gravity, the better.

The 59 would handle pretty bad just like an old school gasser or altered drag car. They are top heavy. The cobra is low and more even in weight distribution. I wanted to drive my car all the time. Otherwise I would have cut out the firewall and sat in the back seat with the engine right in the middle. It did get done that way back in the day. I have an old car mag from the 70s, an Anglia done exactly that way but with a 59 Datsun front axle.:eek:

• 1 year later...

woa you think like me fisch, or i think like you, or whatev... either way great minds :D

did you find anything nice on nissan Y series engines? im digging around about the carbed ones (Y40 and early Y44's) cos i sorta want one. period perfect V8 for the 620 :D im not serious just yet, i need to see one in person and fiddle about with it before i look at getting one (while off yet :D) but i like the idea lotssssssss

Oh man Greybeard was selling a Y last Jan!! So freakin cool!! I never learned anything beyond this thread though. :( I do a lot of pipe dreaming and learn a little about many things but never become an expert on any one thing! I bet you got them in Aus though!

Y44 on ratsun

BTW the Nissan Y40 and Y44 is, I believe, based on the Ford Y block design '54 to '62 (cars) and '65 (trucks). Note the time Ford replaced this motor was about the same time Nissan/Prince started to build the Y40!!!

The Nissan Y40 has a bore of 3.6 X 3.0 stroke

The Ford Y256 has a bore of 3.62 X 3.10 stroke

The Ford Y272 has a bore of 3.62 X 3.30 stroke

Wasn't able to find a bore spacing for the Nissan so I quit looking.

And came across this toyota while lookin for car and thought Fisch might like..

stout4.jpg

Oh hell to the yes, I know that rig well. LOVE IT!!! Almost makes me want to gasser my '59! I have seen quite a few boxie 60's american cars with the Gasser treatment. It has made me wonder how the nose hight stance would look on a 510. :devil: