a few pics of what i need to change...

tnip

well... here's the first few pics i'm gonna post up of my actual truck - a '71 521.

none of the exterior or interior just yet. just these shots of the phenomenal job the PO did of fixing the burnt up wiring harness and fuse block. and the amazing job of rewiring the starter and alternator.

the fuse block ... sorta

fuseblock.jpg

the lovely starter

starter.jpg

and finally last but not least the alternator.. the heart of the electrical system. (not stock alt., unidentified as of yet)

alt.jpg

shoot me :(

as i said in another thread that my dad had purchased a painless wiring harness and fuse block, but i think it's only 7 fuse and the wires aren't long enough, so i'll still have to splice in if i use that. i mentioned in another thread that i'd like to try and buy a stock 521 wiring harness if anybody has one for sale please let me know how much it's gonna cost me.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive seen worse. What is that bracket coming off the starter? Go to http://www.the620.com in the tech. section & print the wiring diagrams for your truck & go from there. I used to have a 520 engine wiring harness & MAY still have it..if so you can have it free just pay shipping. Ill look for it today.

wiring can b a real PITA. at least the 521 only has minnimal amount. you could go to the parts store and get a bunch of supplies and make your own.

if you do, get a soldering iron and heat shrink and do all the connections. it's worth the extra time.

you could try "taddj" on this forum. he has like 8 or 9 521 parts trucks.

but he won't sell anything, or even get back in touch with you if you try.

I guess it's better to have all that stuff sitting in the woods rotting instead of helping out a fellow Datto guy?

When I went msII in my Z, I got all my supplies from an Ebay store. everything, wire, connections, solder, shrink, expandable heat sleeves, etc.

It was like $45 for everything.

Oh yeah, for the fuse box, check out a VW/dune buggie store. they have them cheap.

good luck.

peace

pac coast - the only "bracket" i can think of is the new battery lead i put on there. it kind of looks like an aluminum bracket... but it's just the end of the fat wire. i've got the "mklotz" service manual off of the620.com and look at it often, i would just like to be able to rip this shit out and throw something in there to start, as i assume that even the factory harness that i put in will need repairing since it's 30+ year old wires. and thank you for looking :D

521lvr - is that liver or lover? haha jk. i know it's liver :P. i sent him a pm today to ask if he has one lying around or if it'd be possible to buy one off him or whatever, we'll see what kind of response i get. i've noticed that out of the handful of pm's i've sent i've only gotten a couple replies. maybe some of the ratsunauts just don't notice them or bother checking them? i would like to make my own harness but i'm having trouble sticking to a project right now and finding the motivation to begin with (everybody on here helps me with that more than i could say) and as i'm a 21 year old that has moved out and back in with my parents twice now my dad continues to remind me that i really need to get a job and this truck is the only thing i have as a dd right now and even at that it's on stands right now cause i'm wrestling with the brakes. so i would like to have a quick fix and then in the future i've got a million and one plans for this lil gem that i will get to at some point, a custom harness is right up there. i want to run an L20bfi with a hidden harness so i'll have to move the fuses and relays inside somewhere, battery in the bed, electric fan... blah blah. anyway... right now i need a reliable dd... once i get some other issues in my life square then i'll be customizing and detailing. and i've already got the fuse box i can use.

That's nothing. My 520 is far worse- and it works. I've ripped out what feels like miles of excess wire and still everything original works. Prior owner was a tinkerer. He added every frigging imagineable JC Whitney accessory. Most of those DON'T work. The delay wipers do, but the fog lights and the cruise control don't. Foglights were because the switch melted (stupid lighted Radio Shack switches). I ripped out most of the home-made alarm system (it was some sort of heathkit setup, but was missing the siren and other parts) but some parts like the door switches would leave holes in places I don't want holes.

That's nothing. My 520 is far worse- and it works. I've ripped out what feels like miles of excess wire and still everything original works. Prior owner was a tinkerer. He added every frigging imagineable JC Whitney accessory. Most of those DON'T work. The delay wipers do, but the fog lights and the cruise control don't. Foglights were because the switch melted (stupid lighted Radio Shack switches). I ripped out most of the home-made alarm system (it was some sort of heathkit setup, but was missing the siren and other parts) but some parts like the door switches would leave holes in places I don't want holes.

I want cruse controll on my sun!