Truck guys might get mad..

Beau M

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First I must apply way more bondo than I should. Then it will be primered... and probably stay that way for a long time, but at least it will be all smooth and one color.

And Bleach, I was thinking a nice diamond plate truck bumper with some truck nutz would look classy.

• 3 weeks later...

Rear end update. I have been welding, sanding and applying bondo for the last few weeks. I was trying my hardest to get the metal as flat as possible, but I was getting frustrated in my search for perfection. I decided it was time to let some body filler do its job. Here are some pics after a guide coat of primer, its not totally dry but you get the idea:

primer4.jpg

primer5.jpg

primer6.jpg

primer8.jpg

primer9.jpg

That is so rad, I love it.

I have... maybe a silly question, but recently I welded a patch in a fender, and it warped a little, like on the top of the curve it pulled the metal in. I know I've read about it before but I'm not really sure how to prevent it. Did you run into any of that when you welded this piece in? The body work/transition/smoothness looks great. Very nice work.:D

I didn't notice much warping, when I welded I basically did a ton of small spot welds all the way around. Now that I think about it, things could have warped, but I just attributed it to crappy fabrication. I delt with those areas with one of those cheapo bondo brand body hammers for the high spots, and my modified slide hammer for the low spots. Here are a few pics of the slide set-up, worked really well actually:

The end of the slide hammer. I cut a slot in it so I could slip it on and off the nails. I then welded a nut on the end, to make the hole a little smaller.

puller.jpg

Here are some nails welded to the body. The end slides over the nail shank, then you screw the end on the hammer. This way I could weld a ton of nails on and hammer out different areas:

nails2.jpg

nails.jpg

im so digging this idea if i ever shave the bumpers on my 610 im gonna use this idea it looks super clean man and its on a a 2+2 i dont know why but the 2+2 has grown on me i like it more then the regular z

im so digging this idea if i ever shave the bumpers on my 610 im gonna use this idea it looks super clean man and its on a a 2+2 i dont know why but the 2+2 has grown on me i like it more then the regular z

I like them cause they have larger rears. I'm much like Sir Mix-Alot in that way.

001031_23.jpg

lol baby got back :lol: idk what it is i think its the rear windows that makes it look better to me that and i would need a back seat im the one who has the licence and drives my friends around

• 2 weeks later...

There is a tool old folk used to make to do that so you didn't need to weld anything.

Take a 6" or w/e size angle grinder. Cut the handle off a appropriately sized frying pan, drill a hole in it and fit it to the grinder (bottom out). It super heats the body panel then you hit it with water to quench.

Wish I knew what it was called so I could find a pic to post.

Edited by 72240z
  • 1 month later...

I think you're referring to a shrinking disc. I've got an issue of Car Kulture Deluxe with an article about this method.

I've never heard of anyone making one out of a frying pan.

Sounds like danger......... but now you've got me wanting to try it!

I think guys usually make them out of stainless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYXMY07m8Is