Almost ready for 510 rally suspension!

HRH

Okay, more pictures, man this takes a lot of time!

Here I am, getting the suspension ready after having Joe ream out my bushings to fit the bolts. Fit tiiiiiight! Just perfectly.

suspension1.jpg

One of the tips a Datsun racer I know had was replaced the studs with bolts, makes it a lot easier to get the differential out with everything else still in the car.

diffbolt.jpg

Datsun hub is almost the same diameter as a Mountain Dew can. :)

mtndewrotor.jpg

Found this behind the package tray when I removed it:

behindtrunk.jpg

Incidentally, if anyone wants the package tray, let me know, I'm not going to be using it or will make one out of metal. Local pickup only, not in too bad of condition.

packagetray.jpg

Does anyone know what those wires dangling down are for? Trunk light?

wires.jpg

I really hate putting in the rear subframe. It's a royal pain, especially since I had the car higherthan jack abilities without a spacing block:

fitting.jpg

morefitting.jpg

rearon.jpg

One of the harder things was getting the spring to cooperate and not kill the upper new rubber, kept wanting to squash the lip. Little penetrant and a prybar fixed that, then had to dick with spring position to get the coil end to sit where it was supposed to.

coilfit.jpg

rotors.jpg

rotors2.jpg

And then I finally got around to yanking the transmission so I could take both up to Chuck's Gear and have him swap the bellhousings since I forgot I yanked the goofy shift out of an 80 with a Z20, not the L20. Not liking what I found.

clutch.jpg

flywheel.jpg

slighthotspots.jpg

pressureplate.jpg

disc.jpg

tobearing.jpg

It appears the t/o bearing is throwing grease, which covered the pressure plate and it's made a bit of a groove in the pressure plate. Not horrible, but enough where I'm thinking of changing the whole assembly, plus I kind of want the bigger 620 clutch in there. Using the '77 200sx clutch/flywheel assembly now.

Aside from that, I'd like to route the exhaust more hidden, but don't think I have many options for that aside from notching a trench in the floor to hide the pipe, which would probably inhibit my feet from doing there thing. Figured out why I've been smelling exhaust. Must have whacked it good, as it was still attached via bracketry to the transmission but ripped a huge crack in the pipe. Wasn't leaking that bad, but I certainly noticed it, especially since the trans tunnel isn't exactly sealed.

exhaust.jpg

crack.jpg

It's going to be redone anyway, need to make it so I don't have to remove the exhaust to get the tranny out. Damn lack of space!!

That's it, I'm exhausted, enjoy.

Edited by HRH
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just when you thought I had stopped working on the car!

Oh boy, MORE pictures! Been feverishly working on getting her ready for Canby. The girlfriend has actually been staying away to let me get fully engrossed so I can finish, she's awesome! I registered for the autocross today so it's all or nothing. Or I'll be autocrossing the truck and oil slicking down the course. :D

frontcoilover.jpg

The new Ground Control suspension with some 12" 150 lb springs my Datsun guru had leftover from something British since the springs I got from GC were too short. Or rather they would have worked, but were awfully high up on the perch. These fit all the way down. '82 280zx strut tubes/rotors/calipers. Super neato special cut in half Subaru bumpstops have also been installed. Got the Tokico shocks, we'll see how well they do.

novalve.jpg

Finished up the rear brake lines, ended up converting it to 3/16s in the rear as it was just easier with the available adapters. Just took out the front stock proportioning valve and hooked up the equivalent unions, then running a Wilwood proportioning valve mid tunnel. Haven't hooked up the 79-81 master yet, but have it almost all taken loose.

Can't wait to bleed the entire system.:rolleyes: Oh wait, no, I'm not going to enjoy that. :D

EDIT: Figured out the clutch issue. Probably too long of a rod in the clutch slave. Ground it down, may install spring also.

Edited by HRH