Stock air cleaner to weber mod

mklotz70

I'm throwing these up kinda quick since a couple of other guys have made reference to doing something similar.

Basically, I cut the bottom out of a stock air cleaner, welded in a plate with a hole cut for the weber. Pretty simple. No welder?? JB weld or rivet the plate to the bottom. There's no pic of it, but I did weld the towers back on so the hold down bolt for the top was back in place.

DatAirClnr1.jpg

DatAirClnr2.jpg

DatAirClnr3.jpg

DatAirClnr4.jpg

DatAirClnr5.jpg

DatAirClnrAfter.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why waste a paper plate for pizza? It goes straight from box to mouth :)

Slo....I saw your comment....you were one of the two guys I posted this for. Wasn't sure which way you were going with yours, but thought this might give you an option. I didn't figure you remembered it, even though you've seen it :)

Quiet was the entire reason for doing it!!!! I can't stand all the noise!! :)

• Like 1

22 is a bit on the thin side.....so you might want to line up the stock brace on the front side. I think once you tighten the wingnut down it's pretty stable anyway. I did one with the metal from a computer case.....I used thicker stuff the next time :)

• Like 1

I actually did the opposite and used the center section mounted to a rectangular weber style air cleaner and adapted it to a stocker. So keep the cutout parts. I like the carb noise myself but I really like the stock look with weber goodness idea. I plan to stay stock carb on my 510 but this would be great if I use a weber.

• Like 1

i might have to pick up a later model air cleaner to do that with. looks cool and i have all the bracketry to put the stock air cleaner back on and keep it stable. although i like the look of the weber air cleaner and the sound, it would be nice to have the heated air in the mornings.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Been working on my wgn a bit. Finally got around to putting the air cleaner on it.....fail! :( If it's not one thing with this car, it's another. :( I put on the air cleaner that I had modded for my other wgn...the one with the L16. The difference in motor height makes a difference! With the L20, it hits the hood in more than one place. Cutting the snout off to clear the hood brace is easy enough. The bolt/wingnut was hitting too, so I modified that. The top of the air cleaner is still hitting the underside of the hood. So...more mods in store. I'm not really looking to work on this car right now...I just want to get it on the road to chase parts and use as a back up vehicle......not a project!! Anyway......

I noticed there was no shot of the finished inside in the original post. Here's what the inside of this one looked like. Very similar to the other housing I modified for Paula's 521. You'll notice that I moved the beather tube location too. It was too close to the valve cover tube. I also had the vac switch mounted to open/close the damper valve in the snout. Having it working makes start up/warm up on cold days, faster and smoother.

100_1123.jpg

Som of the marks left by the air cleaner :(

100_1124.jpg

To find out how much room I had about the air cleaner mounting point, I put a tape measure on top with the tape locked. Then, I closed the hood all the way. I then measured the tape with another tape (easier than figuring up the tape body plus the stick out). I came up with 2-7/8" I'll use that dimension later as I try to figure out a way to get the air cleaner to clear.

100_1127.jpg

100_1126.jpg

Since the lid hold down bolt stuck up the highest, I wanted to address that first. These shots are with the AC body upside down on the bench. The bolt in pinched in the top bracket. I opened the tabs up, pulled out the bolt, then re-pinched them together with a 6mm nut inside instead. I made sure they it was pinched in very securely....you don't want this nut falling out when you take the lid off!!! The tabs interfered with the bolt threading in all the way, so I hit the tabs with the die grinder. I think I may actually hit each side of the nut with a spot weld before this is done.

100_1128.jpg

100_1129.jpg

100_1131.jpg

100_1137.jpg

100_1138.jpg

100_1140.jpg

100_1142.jpg

The wing nut was still a bit tall. I cut the head off a 6mm bolt, threaded it into the wing nut and welded it in. I then ground the top down a bit for an extra 1/8" of clearance :) I still maintain the ability to remove the lid with out the use of tools.....which was the entire point of modifying the wing nut :)

100_1130.jpg

100_1143.jpg

100_1144.jpg

100_1145.jpg

100_1146.jpg

I'll add some more to this once I figure out how to drop the body over the carb. I may just bag it and put the SU's on!!! :)

• Like 1

I took vids of the entire air cleaner mod. It's taking me longer to upload the vids than it did to do the mod!! 😞

While I was waiting for that.....more like still waiting...probably won't be done until tomorrow morning.......I did a CAD file of the weber air cleaner opening. I finally figured out that if I print it actual size, then scanned it to a pdf, I could print it actual size from a file on my site.....so.....

Somebody download and print this and let me know if it comes out actual size!!

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/weber-adapters.html (edited: new link 1/9/21)

...think I got it now.

...nope...no clue why I can't got straight there.....anyway.....on the tech page that link takes you to, down at the bottom...the first entry under General Datsun is the weber template.

Here's a jpg of it so you get an idea of what I'm talking about

webertemplate.jpg

Edited by mklotz70
new link to pdf

This just may turn out to be a nightmare, but here goes......

I spent several hours modding a stock air cleaner to fit over a weber and under the hood of my L20b equipped 510 wgn. The vids cover pretty much every step. You'll hear me talk about how I think it going to be one way, then in the next vid it's a different way. That's part of the "figuring out" process :) Anyway....unless I can figure out a much faster way to upload these things, I doubt I'll be doing anymore this in depth. I thought video would save me a bunch of typing time, but it takes way longer to upload this stuff!!! I'll have to start the rest of the upload tonight...then maybe in the morning, I can post the rest of the links.

None of these links seem to work.....thank you photobucket for screwing things up so many times!  I don't have time to try to figure out these links right now, but this new link should take you to the photobucket folder where they're at and they should play there for you.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/mklotz70/a/bb9474f1-4c99-43d0-a273-f237176ca7a9

th_100_5510.jpg

th_100_5511.jpg

th_100_5512.jpg

th_100_5513.jpg

th_100_5514.jpg

th_100_5515.jpg

th_100_5516.jpg

th_100_5517.jpg

th_100_5519.jpg

th_100_5520.jpg

th_100_5521.jpg

th_100_5522.jpg

th_100_5523.jpg

th_100_5524-1.jpg

th_100_5525.jpg

th_100_5526.jpg

th_100_5527.jpg

th_100_5528.jpg

th_100_5529.jpg

th_100_5530.jpg

th_100_5531.jpg

th_100_5532.jpg

th_100_5533.jpg

th_100_5534.jpg

th_100_5535.jpg

th_100_5536.jpg

Edited by mklotz70
added link to PB folder to be able to few vids there
  • Like 1

Beelzebub

You inspired me today.

Was looking for another air cleaner for my Weber.....sacrificed the one I had for the EFI on another truck.

Would of cost 40 bucks plus taxes and shipping to replace it.

Anywho....decided to see if I could make the stock 720 air cleaner fit the 32/36.

Looks like a go......just a few more adjustments to make it bolt to the valve cover.:D

Don't think I'll need the center 'nut'....have those clips to hold the top of the air cleaner on.

Zip cut the center out. Cut a pot lid to fit. Shall rivet that to the bottom.

P1010010-2.jpg

P1010008-1.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

P1010011-1.jpg

P1010012-1.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

P1010014-1.jpg

P1010015-2.jpg

P1010016-2.jpg

• Like 1

So, the upload failed last night...computer decided it needed to update before the vids were done, so it took none of them. Let them run for over an hour before heading to work this morning....luckily, they had finished okay and were waiting when I got home. So...here's the rest of the vids.

th_100_5537.jpg

th_100_5538.jpg

th_100_5539.jpg

th_100_5540.jpg

th_100_5541.jpg

th_100_5542.jpg

th_100_5543.jpg

th_100_5544.jpg

th_100_5545.jpg

• Like 1
That's AWESOME!!!!! Thanks for posting the pics!! I spend all the time taking pics/vids/posting and hope that it will help someone with their project.....so thank you for letting me know this hasn't been in vain!!! :)

No problem....got any other projects on the 'go'

Might have to follow suit:cool:

Didn't want to hi-jack your thread....but being a....

stock air cleaner to weber mod......didn't think you would mind.

Think I should of used the pizza dish.....instead of the pot lid.....:lol::lol:

A little heavier guage

But..... once it's riveted to the bottom of the air cleaner and the hole is cut.... bolted to the Weber.....and then the whole unit mounted to the valve cover.

Should be more than..... stable enough.....i think:blink:

Very cool Mike. This is one of the most detailed writeups I've seen. Good job, and great idea.

Thanks. When are you going to do yours? :)

No problem....got any other projects on the 'go'

Might have to follow suit:cool:

Didn't want to hi-jack your thread....but being a....

stock air cleaner to weber mod......didn't think you would mind.

Don't mind at all. In fact, it kinda bugs me when guys start 5 different threads on exactly the same thing....makes it a lot harder to search for the info later.

Now all you need is a k&n filter for the stock air cleaner

yep...but I like the $4 price of the paper one more :) I did put a Amsoil equivalent in my wife's 521. ...hhmm...I might actually have another one on the shelf too.

Think I should of used the pizza dish.....instead of the pot lid.....:lol::lol:

A little heavier guage

But..... once it's riveted to the bottom of the air cleaner and the hole is cut.... bolted to the Weber.....and then the whole unit mounted to the valve cover.

Should be more than..... stable enough.....i think:blink:

Well, since you're riveting it, you can redo it if it's not stable enough. I used the side of a computer case on the first one....it wobbled....that's why this one got the 16ga :) You could use some angle or bend a couple of strips of sheet metal to make angle and rivet those across, just outside the mounting holes...might make it more rigid without having to completely redo it.