Parking brake mystery

spottedog

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

adjust it tighter!

Yeah. As long as when you release the hand break the shoes are not dragging then good. If it only comes out 3-4 clicks it doesn't matter. Eight clicks to lock it tight enough to keep from turning by hand is nothing.

I've seen that when the shoes are put on backwards. The linings are "clocked" a certain way for a reason. Typical symptom of that is they'll hold one direction but not the other.

Another cause is drums that are too far worn- you said they've been turned, which increases the inner diameter. It takes a while for the shoes to "wear in" to the larger diameter.

Oh, and when putting new shoes on you have to adjust them after driving them a couple miles- they never seem to "center" without doing some forwards/backwards/parking brake pull stops.

mine were like that on the 510. i just got underneath the car and tightened the cable where the two connect and now the handle is tighter and i can park on any hill. it still doesnt stop the car completely when you yank it while in motion but i have a steep ass driveway. just tighten the fucker.

thanks for no word filters ratsun.

Probably not the case here but often stepping on the brake pedal and then applying the parking brake as you release the pedal sems to result in a more positive parking brake engagement. [in my old Corvair this was the only way the parking brake would engage]

• 3 weeks later...