1970 Fairlady Z project

Bleach

The year was 2001. Early October...

I had been searching the Z websites for about 3 years for a right hand drive 2-seater Z in the northwest. I found one on Zcar.com up in Mt Vernon Washington. Drove up there with a flatbed, paid what the guy was asking for it, and brought it home.

August 2007, I pull the car out of the garage and into the back yard to wash it and get ready to tow it to my new home. :D

ztest2_thumb.jpg

ztest1_thumb.jpg

ztest3_thumb.jpg

ztest4_thumb.jpg

ztest5_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This Fairlady is the lone Datsun. The Turbo Barney-mobile was sold.

The right hand drive Z has big plans for an all original restore right down to the original orange paint this car came with before. No turbos, no mods, just the stock L20 straight six and 5-speed. In fact, I'm even going to run the points distributor and steel wheels. I'm that hard core! :D

In Japan they had no wheel options so all Z cars in 1970 came with 14" steelies

I'd like to drive or even trailer this one to Canby next year. We'll see....

This car hasn't been started in many years. The license tabs expired in 1996! I dont' think I'll be driving it anywhere until next year. I'm going to start a full restoration beginning with brakes and then removing the engine.

Awe, come on, restoration??? My dad always says "Anybody can restore a car, but it takes a real man to modify one!" I'm seeing triple 40 mikuni's on the l20 with a high comp head and a cam. Coilovers all around with some 14" watanabe's...just some good ole classic Jap style.

heck even ive stood, and leaned on his fairlady, and im came from canada to do it!! its a sweet ride and even better in person. good to see ya working on it bleach, i really hope to see it at the next canada meet! i gott come down again to go to the wreckers for that z31 ecu, and maybe ill give ya a hand on the car for the rest of the day. free of charge for ya buddy. hehe

• 2 weeks later...
Awe, come on, restoration??? My dad always says "Anybody can restore a car, but it takes a real man to modify one!" I'm seeing triple 40 mikuni's on the l20 with a high comp head and a cam. Coilovers all around with some 14" watanabe's...just some good ole classic Jap style.

I think it goes the other way around... anyone can mod the crap out of a car but it takes dedication, persistance, and dicipline to restore a car to factory specs. I'll modify my not so rare cars and keep this rare one all original. Then when I sell it for 30 grand in a few years the new owner can modify it all they want.

and why in the world would I modify an L20??? :cool: If I did anything it would be an L28 turbo or RB series engine with huge turbo on the left side! No steering arm interferance.

It'll be hard too. This would be my first car I'm not going to customize. :D

but I think this situation calls for a factory restoration. I can make some changes to my (soon to own) Frontier and 350Z

Bleach go for it..do it up factory style! For the Frontier I say...tint, stereo, chrome rims. Keep it simple. The 350 needs no mods IMO :D