Steering box brace

Are any of you guys running a steering box brace like the one from datsport? Are there other companies that make a brace like this that are in the US? I was wondering if anyone has installed one? .. Notice a difference? Also If anyone has a picture of one installed that would be cool im trying to get an idea if it would cause additional clearance issues with the downpipe from my exhaust manifold. my downpipe is already really close to the steering box.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We put one in Hainz's car, I can't imagine doing it with the engine in though...

hainz%20again%20014.JPG

I'd think the trucks frame is much more rigid than a 510 sheet metal frame rail..

Guest DatsuNoob

for sure Icey, much more rigid. I forgot what mine looked like for a sec. I still plan on doing an idler arm brace though. I've noticed that's my weak link in my steering system, and I've seen it get a little shifty on other dattys as well

We put one in Hainz's car, I can't imagine doing it with the engine in though...

I'd think the trucks frame is much more rigid than a 510 sheet metal frame rail..

I can imagine, I did it with my VG30 in place.

Took forever, and I had to file the holes to fit after drilling at I was a little bit off.

Edited by vgwagon

Putting the MAD DAT steering brace and the Experimental Engineering idler arm kit did wonders for the steering. The steering brace also makes a nice place to mount a aluminum heat shield around the steering box ( for the forced induction guys). Injecting chassis stiffening foam in the frame rails made a huge difference as well.

http://www.vg30.com/510parts.html

http://foamseal.org/automotive.htm

What does the Idler arm kit consist of? I want to give my dat all of the steering / handling goodies that I can throw at it. I guess I am just going to pick up the steering brace and see what I can do as far as installing it with the swap already in my car. If I remove my downpipe off the back of the turbo I might have just enough room to bust my knuckles around it.

Putting the MAD DAT steering brace and the Experimental Engineering idler arm kit did wonders for the steering. The steering brace also makes a nice place to mount a aluminum heat shield around the steering box ( for the forced induction guys). Injecting chassis stiffening foam in the frame rails made a huge difference as well.

http://www.vg30.com/510parts.html

http://foamseal.org/automotive.htm

Hey Ben come on down to Troys we / he is down there most days until 7pm at least check out all the stuff he has available including the steering box brace that you were looking for and it would give me the chance to see your car :D Troys shop is right off the freeway in Fremont about 15-20 minute drive from San Jose

Clayton

Putting the MAD DAT steering brace and the Experimental Engineering Injecting chassis stiffening foam in the frame rails made a huge difference as well.

Does the foam absorb water? Would it work for us Washington dudes?

What does the Idler arm kit consist of? I want to give my dat all of the steering / handling goodies that I can throw at it. I guess I am just going to pick up the steering brace and see what I can do as far as installing it with the swap already in my car. If I remove my downpipe off the back of the turbo I might have just enough room to bust my knuckles around it.

The idler arm kit is a stainless sleeve with a delrin bushing, it really smooths out steering play. As for the foam , I have had it in the car since 2003 and no rust problems so far.

I was just up there in Fremont after work today picking up some eyebrow trim for the front grille... Id be glad to come by there any time man.. I work in milpitas so its not far for me at all.. let me know what day and Ill swing by.

Hey Ben come on down to Troys we / he is down there most days until 7pm at least check out all the stuff he has available including the steering box brace that you were looking for and it would give me the chance to see your car :D Troys shop is right off the freeway in Fremont about 15-20 minute drive from San Jose

Clayton

Thanks for the detail on the idler arm kit ... I think Ill pick one up.

The idler arm kit is a stainless sleeve with a delrin bushing, it really smooths out steering play. As for the foam , I have had it in the car since 2003 and no rust problems so far.

Regarding the foam from grainger, is that just the regular expanding foam or does it harden up? Spray foam and the structural stuff are two different birds.

Also, as far as flammability, is the denser structural stuff more fire retardant than the expanding stuff? It seems to me that it would be a slow burn/smolder as compared to a quick burst of flame/minor explosion due to less air pockets/trapped oxygen/and surface area of the flammable material. Also the harder/structural stuff is "sealed" in side the frame rails/a-pillars/wherever and I would think that if it were to burn at worst it would be like lighting a jar with a couple inches of gas in it. It will burn on top where the oxygen is but it wont explode... unless you use it for target practice:lol: Has anybody done any real world tests on this stuff for example taking a couple chunks of each both by themselves and enclosed in metal and lighting them on fire? Id be curious to see the results.

Oh yeah... Good info in the availability of steering box braces too:rolleyes: