White 1200 Sedan - which wheels?

Duncan

Folks.

I'm having a dilemma. I want to order a set of new Minilite Wheels in 13x6, and I can't decide on getting a traditional silver finish with highly polished lip, or do I go with the anthracite grey with polished lip?

The 12's with hubbies are cool for shows and whatnot, but they not too sporty around town:D

I'm leaning towards the anthracite. Sorry I don't have minilite pics, but they are very similar to the classic panasports we see on the "bigger" Datsuns...

OR, do I leave her alone because it's rare and unusual to see a 1200 in stock form? (Leaving it as-is is MUCH cheaper)

sunwall.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaimesix

Mike:

I love your sedan. Gorgeous.

We missed you at Sears last Sunday. Stay tuned for the next meeting. It was a nice group, we had a great time!

My vote is for either total antracite or total black, I would avoid polished lips.

I like the look of 100% black wheels. That is my choice number one. Choice number two, 100% antracite. Choice number three, I would opt for a silver wheel, traditional silver center and polished lip as they come factory. I guess that would be 100% silver.

Black minilites would look killer!!

BTW. I would like to purchase your 12 in wheel set. Let me know if you intend on selling it

Thanks.

Jaime.___________________________________________________

Mike:

My vote is for either total antracite or total black, I would avoid polished lips.

I agree that sedan is so pretty. I also agree with the color choice and avoiding the chrome lip with imo would cheapen the classic look.

Minilites are so played though, Idk, just think there is a better choice to be had for that 1200.

My choice isn't much better though, I'd love to see Libres on there. :lol:

Mike:

We missed you at Sears last Sunday. Stay tuned for the next meeting. It was a nice group, we had a great time!

I like the look of 100% black wheels. That is my choice number one. Choice number two, 100% antracite. Choice number three, I would opt for a silver wheel, traditional silver center and polished lip as they come factory. I guess that would be 100% silver.

BTW. I would like to purchase your 12 in wheel set. Let me know if you intend on selling it

Thanks.

Jaime.___________________________________________________

i have a 12 inch set you can have a look at

Guest jaimesix
i have a 12 inch set you can have a look at

Cool Moisabamf.

Lets talk about it at our next Datsun meet!:)

Jaime._______________________________________________________

Mike:

Thanks Jaime. I plan on keeping the stockies. They fit right well with shows like JCCS where they judge (allegedly) on originality.

Mo, the current rear axle is about a 4:10 ratio, so your car would have higher rpm's on the freeway. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want that. I should have had my stock rear axle back by now, but the guy I'm using is extremely good, but SLOWWWW. :(

The current rear axle is very heavy duty, but it needs to be rebuilt because it's very whiney/noisey. It also clunks a lot which is no bueno por nada.

And thanks for the wheel suggestions. I had black faux-panas on my Coupe and wanted to do something different. I'll probably go with the antracite.

i think the grey with polished lip would look killer on it. definitely keep the stock ones around and store them safely to put back on once in a while.

OF the choices I'd go with grey/ polished lip. But damn I love the stock look!

If money was no object, It would be a dream to have some custom one-off wheels made that mimicked the original hub caps some how! But that is fantasy land kinda stuff.

OF the choices I'd go with grey/ polished lip. But damn I love the stock look!

If money was no object, It would be a dream to have some custom one-off wheels made that mimicked the original hub caps some how! But that is fantasy land kinda stuff.

You know these days thats depends. If you bring the CAD to a cnc shop they will cut 4 out for about as much as new ones would cost anyway.

I like the idea of wheels that mimic the caps though. They fit so well.

You know these days thats depends. If you bring the CAD to a cnc shop they will cut 4 out for about as much as new ones would cost anyway.

I like the idea of wheels that mimic the caps though. They fit so well.

There ya go! Find a college student who is fluent in cad, have him rock out a design that mimics the hubcap (perhaps make it concave rather than convex for spacing issues) and take that to a cnc place! The bonus would be, have two sets made, and I bet you could sell them and make up some of your costs!

Ya took the easy way out. Minilites look fantasticly good on a 1200. Good choice.

Well, it's hard to find any NEW wheel for the 1200 anymore, and I wanted a minilite/panasport type wheel. All of the popular ones (Konigs, Wats, etc, etc) seem to start at 14x7. I have seen the Superlites, and I don't like the way they look, but I can't put my finger on it as to why they look a bit odd to me.

Unfortunately, I have to wait 6-8 weeks.

I should be okay with that +12 offset, anyone?

I measured all the other aftermarket wheels I've had on my 1200, and all seem to have a +12. (+ or - 1mm for error)

Edited by Duncan

Duncan, Minilites were originally for minis, 10" and 12" diameter. That's why you don't see genuine Minilites in 14" diameter.

TRR, I think $100 is a fair price. However the trend today is for giant wheels, like 14" up to 17". So if you don't find a buyer you might need to sell them at "bargain price" to move them.

I have 12"x5" on my 1200. OLDSCHOOL, maybe too old

13449.jpg

Duncan, Minilites were originally for minis, 10" and 12" diameter. That's why you don't see genuine Minilites in 14" diameter.

TRR, I think $100 is a fair price. However the trend today is for giant wheels, like 14" up to 17". So if you don't find a buyer you might need to sell them at "bargain price" to move them.

I have 12"x5" on my 1200. OLDSCHOOL, maybe too old

13449.jpg

Ya I have 15" slotted mags and even 100 is pushing it on those. It's not even worth it for me to sell for less so in the carport they sit lol.

Actually, they make them from 10"x4.5" to 15"x10" (at least these days, anyway). They have a good selection and will make any pcd and offset, but you HAVE to tell them what you want. They also offer 5-lug versions for Chevys and Fords.

After I sent the distributor my order for 13"x6" they came back and recommended a 13x5 with a 165 width tire max! I also believe they recommended a +24 offset at that size..:eek: That's nice, but I wanted more rubber under there..

BTW, I looked closely, and the Superlites have a shorter spoke and larger center area. That's why I don't care for the looks of them as much as the Panasports or Minilites.

Edited by Duncan
  • 3 months later...

Wow, it took a while but I wanted to put a bow and wrap up this thread.

I got the Minilites in 13x6 with a +12 offset and they fit perfectly. The tires are Sumitomo 185/60/r13's. I'm not super-crazy about the caps yet, but I ordered an extra set and hopefully I can do something with them I like. The wheels are an antracite-grey metallic and the true color doesn't show in the photos very well.

I did polish up and bag the hubcaps, and will put the stockies on for JCCS. The car does handle better and rides better with the wider rubber.

BTW, I had both bumpers rechromed, and they look awesome :D

DD, if you're coming to JCCS in the ute, you should register now!

Sunny.jpg

Sunny1.jpg

Sunny2.jpg

Duncan,

those look the goods....can ya throw out where ya got em?

If you already have, sorry, I was in a rush to see the pics:D

Kelmo