Oil (?) on brake shoes

spottedog

1980 Datsun 720 4X4

Found nasty looking crap all over my brake shoes! (Pictures)

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dd04b3127ccec6e743df24e800000040O00AZs2LJy1cOWIPbz4M/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dd04b3127ccec6e66fd6858b00000040O00AZs2LJy1cOWIPbz4M/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

I don't know if it is axle oil or brake fluid (I think it's oil) so I want to change the outer axle seal (?) and the wheel cylinder.

The question is do I just disconnect the brake line and parking brake cable and the backing plate then the axle and find the oil seal right there?

I am hoping I don't have to take the axle to a machinist to have something pressed off?

Thanks for your input as always.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would clean them up very well and see for sure before going though the trouble. Odds are imho that its brake fluid and dirt over time. Could be axle, just saying at least check thoroughly 1st.

They look fine, just old and dirty. Peel the lip up on each dust cover with your finger nail. If it's wet then there is some brake fluid loss and sometime in the near future, replace them. Doesn't look too serious yet. If they are dry give a good spray off with brake cleaner and keep an eye on.

I wouldn't use compressed air on them. It spreads the asbestos particles around. Rinse off with spray collect the drippings and dispose of.... let air dry.

X2. especially since its only on top on the cylinder.

always fix the easy/free stuff first!

Also known as the K.I.S.S Principle (aka Keep It Simple, Stupid). :D

how does the fluid in the MC look? might wanna change that too.

Unless you know damn well this stuff has been done recently, there's no might wanna about it. Flush the brake system and change the differential oil.

• 1 month later...

Dunno about the Datsun 720, but with Datsun B210 if it is gear oil on the brake shoes, just repack the wheel bearing and it will stop leaking. Rarely need to change the seal. There is an oil catcher and vent, so if a little seepage occurs it runs outside the brake area. Just repack about every two years and the thicker wheel bearing grease keeps the 90W from getting through. You can change the seal, but you still need to repack occasionally. Nissan maintainence schedule is bearing repack every 30 months or 30k miles.