1974 620 heater core hose?

djt0ast

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to lower the coolant at least below heater level, even then it will siphon out of the core so be prepared with a plastic sheet.

you could just plug it, cut a little piece off to take in to the part store for size matching and then plug it with a bolt or a cap until you get the new hose :)

I went and bought the hose and clamps.... It was really quite easy to get it all back together... I am now wondering if I should replace the heater core and the blower? It just doesn't seem like there is much heat pushing out through the vents... Any ideas?

Pull the heater core out. Take it to a radiator shop. Have them boil it out and pressure test it. Every datsun heater core I've had pressure tested leaked at the inlet or outlet connection. The radiator shop heats up the solder, it re-flows and they no longer leak. The boiling out gets all the crap out of it so the air can flow through the fins. 620 heaters will boil you out, even on a cold day, when in good repair.

I went and bought the hose and clamps.... It was really quite easy to get it all back together... I am now wondering if I should replace the heater core and the blower? It just doesn't seem like there is much heat pushing out through the vents... Any ideas?

I know some of mine have been so stuffed with fir needles and whatever other crap falls down there that they dont work well. Once you pull those four clips the cover comes right off.

Pull the heater core out. Take it to a radiator shop. Have them boil it out and pressure test it. Every datsun heater core I've had pressure tested leaked at the inlet or outlet connection. The radiator shop heats up the solder, it re-flows and they no longer leak. The boiling out gets all the crap out of it so the air can flow through the fins. 620 heaters will boil you out, even on a cold day, when in good repair.

X2

OK... So now when I was driving home today, I noticed that the truck was running super hot.... The the temperature needle was almost all the way over to the right... Do you know what may be causing this? Thanks!

Heater hose leaking??? Im gonna go out on a limb and say low coolant:rolleyes:

Fill your radiator with the proper mix of antifreeze, if you run straight water you run the risk of cavitation in the timing cover (bad juju... watch the hainz video or search for cavitation on here...)

If you cant fix the heater hoses/heater core right away cap them off on the block, dont cut your original heater hoses if they dont look all cracked or dryrotted. It will cost you more than you think for the correct new ones. A chunk of old garden hose might work with a dowel or a big bolt shoved in there just make sure it doesnt leak and put some hose clamps over it. Youd be better off using heater hose if youve got extra though.

Heater hose leaking??? Im gonna go out on a limb and say low coolant:rolleyes:

Fill your radiator with the proper mix of antifreeze, if you run straight water you run the risk of cavitation in the timing cover (bad juju... watch the hainz video or search for cavitation on here...)

If you cant fix the heater hoses/heater core right away cap them off on the block, dont cut your original heater hoses if they dont look all cracked or dryrotted. It will cost you more than you think for the correct new ones. A chunk of old garden hose might work with a dowel or a big bolt shoved in there just make sure it doesnt leak and put some hose clamps over it. Youd be better off using heater hose if youve got extra though.

he has already fixed that problem....

djtoast, I heard the problem was fixed :-)

Heater hose kinks cannot cause this problem. But one of these can:

- coolant level is low (did you check it this morning?)

- Radiator coolant flow is partially blocked

- Radiator air flow is blocked

- fan belt is slipping

- Electric fans often cause this type of problem. If so put the stock fan back on

- temperature gauge is incorrect. Does the gas gauge read correctly? They are on the same regulation circuit

- Temperature sender is bad

It's pretty typical to move between 1/2 mark and toward the H mark. If it doesn't hit the H mark it is actually "OK".

Now I think the truck is running really hot... The temp gauge is way too high... Do you think the hose I replaced could be causing this? It seems a little kinked... Not sure though?

much trouble finding a section of molded heater hose with the proper bend to replicate the original Datsun hose - had the same kinked hose problem on my 79 KC, and found a hose that had a section with a molded bend in it that fit perfectly. I've got the hose # written down someplace - if I can find it, I'll pass it on.

much trouble finding a section of molded heater hose with the proper bend to replicate the original Datsun hose - had the same kinked hose problem on my 79 KC, and found a hose that had a section with a molded bend in it that fit perfectly. I've got the hose # written down someplace - if I can find it, I'll pass it on.

Yeah that would be much appreciated man!