FS5W71B from Mazda? no it's another 720

Last week I was at the local scrap metal recyclers which is conveniently next door to the local wreckers where I got a FS5W71B (short), R-180 4:11 and a Z24 head last Fri. While there I wandered over to the recyclers and I noticed a Datsun looking truck rear end on the pile. It was squashed to about one and a half feet thick and upside down. The oil pan was like nothing I knew of and the starter on the driver's side so I figured not an L or Z... maybe this is a Mazda? But the tranny did look like a Nissan one. So I thought maybe Nissan and Mazda shared them. Jatco who make the Nissan automatics build them for other auto makers in Japan like Mazda so why not. I was thinking that they might be a new source for replacements.

They are closed Sat so I got up there today and guess what? It turns out that it was a Nissan truck! The confusion was that it's a diesel! So for $20 I pulled it and now have a good FS5W71B tranny. Being the cheap bastard I am, I grabbed the diesel starter and the clutch/pp. The 225mm clutch looks really good with a thick disc. Going back to look at the rear end.

BTW: the diesel tranny has the same lower 1st, 2nd and 3rd ratio gears as the 4X4. To use in an L or Z the front case will have to be changed but so what? The price was right. Also the PP bolts are thicker than the L and Z bolts for some reason. I'll see if the diesel PP will fit the L flywheel.

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gone. A load of scrap went out and someone threw it on top of the load to fill it up. Oh well.

The gear reduction diesel starter is a monster. No way it will fit and L or Z motor. The diesel pp does fit the 225mm L or Z flywheel. There are multiple mounting holes I just had to line up the dowels properly.

HAHA I've did that once at Pull A Part, I thought I was working on an S12 but once I got under it I realized it was a toyota, it was just so stripped the shell looked like the s12 to me :D haha Wups :D