FS5W71B short tail from 720

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg[/img]"]83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg

Well I finally have one. First one I have ever seen! I knew they existed on the 720 trucks but which ones got it? I haven't figured out yet. I had an '82 2wd that was long and an '80 4X4 that was long. This was an '83 KC 4X4 so maybe only 4X4s?

It's 26" so would fit a 510. Hint hint. I have a spare L front case for it. The problem is the rear case has no speedo outlet. more later...

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure envious. I thought those only came in early 4X4 720s that used the L20 engine. However, I've looked at a couple of '79 4X4s with L20s that had longtails. If yours came from an '83, does it have the bell housed tilt for Naps-Z series, rather than L20? Or had someone swapped an L series into that truck? Maybe I need to measure the trans in every year 720 4X4 at Pull n Save.

Len

This was an '83 KC 4X4 so ....

Yup, an '83 Z24 motor. I pulled the head as well as the R-180 4:11 front diff. (think it's sold) Got the 4X4 oil sender/ pressure gauge and volt gauge too. Someone told me it was a shorty but it was laying flat on the ground and couldn't get under it to check. Too bad there's no speedo or it would make a fine 5spd swap into a 510.

The ratios should be:

1st... 3.592

2nd... 2.057

3rd... 1.361

4th... 1.000

5th... 0.813

R...... 3.657

Len, the only '80 720 4X4 tranny I pulled (still have it) is a long with no speedo drive. I'm fairly sure it was a reg cab. So maybe the shortys are on the king cab and/or long frame.???

Edited by datzenmike