L 18 oil pressure gauge.

Guest jaimesix

Guest jaimesix

I purchased a oil Pressure gauge. I want to keep using the oil pressure lamp on the dash, so I will keep the oil pressure sensor affixed to the side of the engine.

In any event, keeping it or not, I found a problem. In order to fit an adaptor for the sending unit to the port on the engine side ( oil sensor port ) the thread at said port, ( thread the factory oil sensor has ) is not 1/8 standard, but 1/8 GAS

I can not find any adaptor for a 1/8 GAS thread, I would need a male 1/8 GAS to fit the engine, the other side should be a 1/8 standard.

Any ideas??

Jaime.____________________________________________________

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the Japs made alot of english cars under license so that why many will have those type if threading esp the oil putput for the sender.

its 1/8 BSP into block then 1/8 NPTF as most kits are from the local Automotive stores

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=59

autometer sells a adapter or maybe a local parts store if lucky in the bin section. as the taiwain kits most do not have 1/8 BSP

maybe get a braded line that is bigger so you can have faster gauge response.

Buy also the autometer lines. The taiwan platic ones will crack and your shit out of luck!!!!!!!!! they get brittle.

oiladapterpressure_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
Guest jaimesix

Thanks.

I want to keep using the oil pressure sensor , so the lamp in the dash stays operative.

I will need a T connector to use both the oil pressure gauge and the oil pressure sensor.

I was told by one auto parts store , that investigated through a catalog, that the thread in the oil pressure sensor was 1/8 GAS.

It makes sense for it to be British Standard Pipe, because Datsun and british engines had a lot in common back in the 60's and 70's.

I ordered from Pep Boys a Sun Pro metric adaptor kit, lets see what it brings. I intended to install the gauge in the first place by using a nipple and T fitting, and all I could get at auto stores was 1/8th Standard. The 1/8th standard nipple had the same thread size, ( 1/8 ) but a thicker bolt shaft, so it would not go into the engine oil pressure sensor port.

I guess that is the difference between 1/8 standard and 1/8 BSP, the BSP is a thinner bolt.

I will check the Sun Pro kit ands will bring in the results. About the sender tube, you are right, might be better to use copper tubbing, that plastic tube will not last long.

Jaime____________________________________________________

Nissan partnered with Austin in the early 50s to build an Austin car using imported components, which they did. But this also allowed Nissan access to important patent rights and licencing, to build the components themselves. By the mid 50s the complete car was built by Nissan. The access to patents allowed Nissan to 'copy' the Austin motor and improve on it. The Nissan A or is it the J series is basically an MG motor. Strangely the oil pressure sender remained BSP British Standard Pipe (thread). They are still in use on the KA24DE which totally confuses S13/S14 owners.

• Like 1
Guest jaimesix
Nissan partnered with Austin in the early 50s to build an Austin car using imported components, which they did. But this also allowed Nissan access to important patent rights and licencing, to build the components themselves. By the mid 50s the complete car was built by Nissan. The access to patents allowed Nissan to 'copy' the Austin motor and improve on it. The Nissan A or is it the J series is basically an MG motor. Strangely the oil pressure sender remained BSP British Standard Pipe (thread). They are still in use on the KA24DE which totally confuses S13/S14 owners.

Yes, that is right. The engine in question is the Nissan "J" series engine, known to the british as the "B" series.

MGBs use the B series engine, or "J" series in Japan.

The japanese "J" series is an improved engine, in relation to the "B" series. It is basically the same, but it has better flow, better electronics, is is a slightly better motor.

The Datsun "A" series engine is not a british engine, but a japanese creation. The british also have an engine they call the "A" series, but that A series only has the name in common, that british engine is the engine that moves Mini Minor/Coopers, and early MG Midgets.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

• 3 weeks later...

if you would like to know more of a pain in the ass ?try useing a DP cam spray bar and a gage fitting I had to retap my block to get the fitting to work with the spary bar then mount a fitting for a VDO oil gage :confused: try keeping that clean looking I had to make one part do it all :)If you email DATMAN uk will,, can get the fitting for the block helps if your in the UK in the first place I just dont know any one that has BPT here in the states and knows datsuns :mellow:

Edited by datsun 160J SSS
  • 3 months later...