How to Install a 13B into a 620!

Scuba002

For those of you who want to swap in a 13B into your 620 then stay tuned cause I will be posting the progress daily. I will be writing a very detailed description of the process. I know how hard it is to find info on this swap so I am going to be nice and help my fellow Ratsun brothers!!

Edited by fisch
Cause you ran 2 of my threads together
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pics of the motor are from today.....nothing special. I pulled the L20B and just test fitted the 13B to see where the motor mounts are going to be. I had to quit to get ready for work so this is all I have at the moment. It looks like the center tie rod will need to be flipped to give that extra little bit of clearance for the oil pan. The orginal tranny is still under the truck. I will remove it tomorrow and fit up the 13B tranny. I will post pics asap. Also I will try and fabricate the motor mounts and give specs on those.

The dash is the original stripped down to metal. I then made two panel out of 3/4" MDF and mounted them. Then wrapped with fleece and applied resin. Sanded then applied bondo. Sanded for a loooonnnngggg time then primed and painted.

picture.php?albumid=206&pictureid=943

picture.php?albumid=206&pictureid=944

picture.php?albumid=206&pictureid=945

So far its been an interesting one....It has 3" lowering blocks in the rear. TB's cranked all the way down. It used to be a long bed but I cut out 11 3/4" welded up the tailgate. I have the Cadillac taillights but haven't installed them yet. The dash is custom made. Its the stock dash with a little fiberglass/bondo magic. I had the L20 running great until the carb hung up and blew the head gasket out. I bought a non titled 240sx with the KA24E to transplant but just couldnt come to rip it out. So I decided to take the spare 13B from the shop and swap it in. Which of course will be getting a 3" exhaust and a huge turbo. Also I have relocated the gas tank to where the spare tire used to rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far its been an interesting one....It has 3" lowering blocks in the rear. TB's cranked all the way down. It used to be a long bed but I cut out 11 3/4" welded up the tailgate. I have the Cadillac taillights but haven't installed them yet. The dash is custom made. Its the stock dash with a little fiberglass/bondo magic.

This sounds like a very interesting build! I cleaned up your thread for you.

Edited by fisch

K...I stopped to take a lunch break. I removed the factory tranny and got the RX7 tranny under the truck for fitment. It looks to me that there will be bare minamal fabrication neccessary for this part of the install. Now as the tranny is about 3" longer than the stock mounting shouldn't be a problem. I have pics as soon as I am able to upload them I will. Please remember as with any work you do to a vehicle please have a good knowledge of hand and power tools. The parts we will be working with are heavy and can hurt you. It is a good idea to have someone help you with this install!

Now to really get started with this post. Here are some of the parts you will need for this install. A good working set of handtools, engine hoist, jacks and jack stands, Welder and cutting outfit. The motor I am using for this tuturial is a 89 Mazda RX-7 GXL w/5 speed tranny. You will also need the yoke for the drive shaft as the 620 will not work. You will need the complete wiring harness and computer. Now we were lucky enough to find the car for $200....Yeah!! $200 running. And please for the love of mankind find a friend or sibling that can help you as you will need it. K....first remove motor and tranny from donor car if applicable and remove all motor and tranny mounts. Remove all wiring and computer. Now remove motor and tranny from truck if you haven't already done so. You will need to remove the center tie rod and flip it so that is installed on the bottom side of the control arms. Remove the Charcoal Canister and brackets. *Note* the Mazda Radiator will not fit. It is about 3" too high. Use of the 620's radiator will be used for this project. I will post more as I obtain it....

Here are the wheels I will be using. They are off of a Toyota and of course painted Jet Black W/3 coats of Clear

IMG00038.jpg

Here is the Computer and Wiring Harness

IMG00052.jpg

The Yoke

IMG00056.jpg

The bottom tranny is the RX7 and the top is the 620

IMG00054.jpg

Guest jaimesix

Nice work.

I love rotary engines. I am looking into a similar swap sometime in the near future.

Love black wheels, that is the way to go!!!!!!

Nice!!!

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Well I hope you and everyone else can use this "How-To" like a recipe and it be a very easy swap. And please don't forget to visit my store! And please email me with any errors or security issues, I just opened it and am trying to work out all the bugs.