410/411 disc brake mod

mklotz70

I'll buy a set just to keep the in garage if the price is right :)

I've wanted a 410/411 goon as well, but braking options has held me back a bit.

What car are the calipers and rotors off again? (so I can check part number and availability on this side of the pond) :)

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, we don't get any cars made by infiniti, are they known as another name in the export market?

Either way, I'm sure I could work out a matching rotor with the right hat size and width/height dimensions. Also probably the same with the caliper :)

Damn, we don't get any cars made by infiniti, are they known as another name in the export market?

Either way, I'm sure I could work out a matching rotor with the right hat size and width/height dimensions. Also probably the same with the caliper :)

HP10, Nissan Primera

thanks matt. I was going to say that Infinity is Nissan....past that I had no clue. The brakes from the maxima and altima would work too, but the disc was too big for 14" wheels...so if you're running big wheels...you can got that route. There were a ton of the big brakes in the s/y!!! I'm shooting for 14's since most guys will have stock rims and they're plenty big for this upgrade.

Oversimplified response but the Japan Domestic market designations for 6 cylinder Infinitis like the J30 is "Maxima" and the deluxe V8s like the Q45 are "President" versions of the Cedric. The American market 2 liter 4 cylinder versions are pretty much JDM Sentras with high market add ons. Not sure what the M series is based on, best excuse I've had all year to take a camera and go to Japan! Tracking down a recent copy of Japanese Car and Driver would be cheaper but not as much fun.

There's a bunch of pics here....mostly so that guys learning from this can see the progression and pattern making. The first pattern made was simply to get me in the ball park. the second is close enough to cut the metal from.

Second to last pic...it's pretty close to the truck bracket :) Anyway...gotta sleep :)

100_2647.jpg

100_2649.jpg

100_2650.jpg

100_2652.jpg

100_2654.jpg

100_2655.jpg

100_2657.jpg

100_2658.jpg

100_2659.jpg

100_2662.jpg

100_2664.jpg

100_2665.jpg

100_2666.jpg

100_2669.jpg

100_2670.jpg

100_2671.jpg

I'm not entirely sure why but I find watching these come about fascinating. Keep up the good work!

It's because you're a closet fabricator :) We can't help you until you admit to it. Then there's a 12 step program.......... :)

Is the back plane not machined to an even thickness? Otherwise, why aren't you mounting the brackets from the back so you don't have to use the goofy tabs?

The front side of the spindle is machined. I don't plan on machining the plate at the mounting surface, but I do machine the face of the tabs where the caliper mounts to eliminate any warpage from welding. Can't mount to the backside since a couple of the holes have the steering arm mounted to them. Most of the aftermarket stuff that bolts to the back doesn't have room on the front side because of the depth of the top hat on the rotor.

The plates could be made in a single piece and cnc bent to eliminate the tabs......at probably triple to quadruple the cost. There aren't enough 411 owners out there to buy enough of these to make it worth it. I've been pushing aside all of my projects and spending money that should be going to them, to do this....all on the speculation that I'll sell enough to even make it worth doing this way. I

Edited by mklotz70

Mike I've been thinking about your mounting brackets. Why couldn't you just machine a 2 bolt on the spindle to the 2 bolts on the calipers bracket? If you made it out of 7075 it would be strong enough and easy to machine. That's me always thinking about cheap and easy :) Thats how the adapters are for my ZX kit. I could send you a pic if you want.

borrow away if you need any other shot let me know i got the frontend tore down right now :lol: man this is getting me so excited i cant wait to drive the 411.

Thanks again Mklotz for going thru all of this i would have been so lost shit Iam lost :lol: .Let me konw if you need anything.Pics,Parts,or anything else

thank you

Freaky

Just something of interest. No idea if the datsun 1000's share any common components with a 410/411, but a guy over here managed to get a front disc conversion going on his 1k wagon;

From memory, it uses a datsun 1200 hub, and GE sigma rotors and calipers (doubt you got these shitboxes over there). It's not a vented conversion, but still a great upgrade over 4 wheel drums.

Few pics;

15113.jpg

15179.jpg

15197.jpg

15196.jpg

It does look really dang close to the 411 spindle. Could very well be the same. Find the bearing numbers that it uses and see if they're the same.

Somebody else can pursue that option if they'd like :) If I try to cover all the possibilities, I'll never finish any of them.

Haven't been in the shop much the last couple of days. Been mainly on the computer trying to learn enough CAD to do my own artwork this time. ADrummond did the truck bracket art. This is what I have so far. It's really close. Tonight, I'll see if I can glue it to some tag board and mount it up to check fit. Freaky has a copy of the art already to have his friend quote laser cutting.......so we'll see what comes back from that. Basically.....I'm expecting to sell the brakets for $125....maybe a bit less. Guys can have the machine work on the hubs done locally or send them to me. I'd like to find several sets to do at once, but I'm going to figure the price up as if I have to do them all individually.....since I'm sure that's what's going to happen.

brktart.jpg