410/411 disc brake mod

mklotz70

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im ready to place a deposit...how do i do it?

also...do i need to send you my hubs? if so i probably wont be able to for a few weeks (i will be out of town)...but im more then happy to pay for the adaptors/shipping now and deal with the hubs later if thats ok.

sorry i this info is covered elsewhere...i have been slammed at work and only skimming through the post and wanted to get my name on the list before you stop taking orders.

rich

I got you email Rich...I'll respond that way.

If I have some time, I'll see if I can make a more consolidated thread. I'm so upside down in these things time-wise, that I just want to get them done and over with :) I was looking at pics and realized that I brought Mend home last Dec? Holy Cow!! I need to get crankin' on that project soon!!

Incredible job on these brackets. Anyone with a 411 should probably send you a bit money just for showing the car some love, even if they aren't buying the kit! I don't even own one yet & I'm still jazzed about your work.

Anyways, I wonder if it would be helpful to consolidate a shopping list in one place and the few steps involved, too. I've taken a stab at it below. Since these parts are so cheap, it probably doesn't make sense to get them from the JY, but I've included (correct?) interchange information just in case.

PARTS

-Mike's Marvelous Kit (bracket, spacer, bolts and metric line adapters)

-Infiniti G20 calipers and rotors (G20 91-95; Stanza 90-92; 240SX 91-97)

-Nissan Hardbody front L/R rubber brake hoses (Hardbody/D21 86.5-97)

-Nissan 280z(x) Brake Master cylinder (280z(x) 77-81)

-Bolt to fabricate longer M/C pushrod

-New steel lines from M/C to block and to front wheels?

PROCESS

-Turn down OD of 411 hub nose to match ID of G20 rotors

-Remove stock 411 bearing spacer using cold chisel, pry bars

-Install custom bearing spacer from kit

-Test fit brackets and calipers; clearance steering arms if necessary

-Install brackets and calipers

-Install Hardbody front flexible brake lines

-Install 280z(x) master cylinder (may be fitment issues with reservoirs/SUs)

-Fab and fit master cylinder pushrod from bolt

-Fab new brake hardlines (possible to bend & reflare originals?)

-Bleed brakes

Jesse.

water cut brackets showed up yesterday, as did the loctite. I guess I'd better get on the lathe. Had to spend the weekend taking care of the firewood situation and tearing apart some E1's. I'll try to get on the spacers in the next day or two :)

mklotz70,

I am the owner on a '72 510 2 door. I would like to commend you on the simplicity of the thread and your ability to "brake it down" to the layman. Awesome craftsmanship and documentation. I really enjoyed the thread and wish I had a car to purchase these for.

Is there a similar setup for the 510? If so, would somebody please point me in the right direction.

Thanks to all,

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. :)

If you like this thread, you'd probably like my NL320 thread and the Mend thread. Most of my threads are more how to than anything else.

For the 510....it's a lot more straight forward to do a strut swap....which reminds me....there's a ton of strut mod info in my strut thread, too :)

Where are you located?

Getting closer. Life keeps popping up and getting in the way a bit. I did spend the day on the lathe wed. Got the bearing spacers made. I had to make a spacer to hold the part parallel to the chuck, yet still allow me to clamp onto the piece. I can buy a commercially avail set for about $150!!!! :eek: .....so I made one myself that worked just fine :)

I know it looks like there's 5 sets, but one set is loose for me to use for mock ups and another set is too loose....so they're scrap. I only have 3 good sets.

The bags are all the pieces....just need to get to welding some brackets up to go with them :)

100_0855.jpg

100_0856.jpg

100_0863.jpg

100_0864.jpg

100_0867.jpg

100_0871.jpg

100_0874.jpg

Basically, they just need put in a box and shipped.......which will happen just as soon as the balances are paid :)

100_0924.jpg

100_0931.jpg

3 sets were committed to up front. I made a 4th as I went, just in case I messed up one of the other 3. Everything worked out with all of them, so I have one extra set. I'm waiting for word back from one guy...if that falls through, then I guess I'll be ebaying the final set. I'm leaning toward making some more, I just don't know exactly when. I've got a handful of truck kits to finish up now.

The holder actually works pretty nicely! It's a cheap HF one....about $7? I don't remember...through it in the basket when I was getting something else. I can't imagine making one.....hard to find a nice big magnet to use :) I could just tack a piece of pipe onto the side of the stand and use that.....but I haven't yet, so I use the holder. I was working on a boat trailer....put the holder near me....didn't have to keep laying the torch on the ground.