410/411 disc brake mod

mklotz70

when the first set was made i took the fiitng down to a local store and the guy said that the stock 411 banjo was like 1/16 smaller so they drilled it out and gave me a new bolt with thicker rubbers no leaks as of yet and way cheaper

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are these 6 sets already presold?

Not yet. Doug and Pete could only think of about 6 411 owners that might be interested in them, so that's where the number came from. They mentioned someone in Canada....maybe it was you :)

I ordered these yesterday from Oil Filter Services(OFS) and they called today saying they were in! Sweet! What these are is a SAE to metric adapter. So...I won't need to cut/flare a metric nut onto the end of the brake line to make this work. This will also work for connecting the m/c to the lines....but with the way they're bent....might just need to replace them anyway.

This little piece makes the wheel well part of things a bolt in. You can run a stock HB line and the stock hardline. Win/win!

100_5336.jpg

To gain a little extra clearance with the caliper/tierod interferance, I ground the ridge off the bolt. I did some measuring and it looks like the pads can wear all the way down to the wear indicator before they bolts will touch. Considering how light the rig is and that most guys don't daily drive them....these pads will last for years!!!

100_5339.jpg

100_5340.jpg

Did a vid of taking the spacer off the base of the spindle.

th_100_5348.jpg

Finally!!! Some welds I don't mind showing!! smile.gif First pics have already been wire wheeled....second are after the glass beads.

100_5351.jpg

100_5352.jpg

100_5355.jpg

100_5357.jpg

I also too the shock and spring out and checked clearance through the full range of motion......tons of clearance!!!! I think I've pretty well covered all the fitment/clearance issues......I don't know of any other hurdles that need overcome on this setup. I'll have some more work today when the water jet stuff comes in, but I think everything is a go.

I might just take tomorrow off smile.gif

You got this done very fast

Well done Mike

Here's picture of the hub assembly before I stored it away so I'm sure I have the parts you need. Just need to take it apart if it's not apart already in my parts shed.

parts130.jpg

parts131.jpg

I decided I didn't want to wait for another hub to show up...although I will still need them at some point.....so I went about repairing the spun bearing in the hub. If you want to see how it was done, the details are in the machine work thread....

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=186703#post186703

Got the hub fixed and mounted. I was at the scrapyard the other day and found a rig that had all the brakes on it....so I opted for matching used stuff for the testing instead of taking any more time to rebuild the other stuff. That stuff will get done at some point, but I'm more concerned with getting this car done and out of the shop for now :) ....so that's why the brake parts aren't all nice and shiny. Basically....I'm down to running new lines and doing a final mount on the m/c. I mounted the mock up m/c to check fit. I was quite surprised when I found that the darn thing went right in. I didn't have to file the m/c holes or open the firewall hole like you do on the trucks :) I put a pen in the m/c and it was exactly the same length as the push rod I need. The stock one is a bit short. I got this one out of my box of parts and it's nearly perfect.....but I have no clue what I got if off of :( The stock m/c resevoir for the front circuit had to get changed out...no biggie....doesn't need to be that big. It's to allow for pad wear and I don't think these pads are going to wear very quickly at all!!! :)

100_5407.jpg

100_5413.jpg

100_5414.jpg

100_5418.jpg

100_5424.jpg

100_5425.jpg

100_5427.jpg

100_5429.jpg

100_5431.jpg

Freaking AMAZING.

Mike, I got behind on some projects, but I would LOVE to convert "Alice" with this setup.

I can't have her down for too long, as I want to drive her to JCCS. But if you think you can use these hubs, I'd love to send you a check and a box of greasy parts!

Thanks guys. Should have made more progress tonight, but it's too dang hot!!! I've got to make a run to the scrapyard in the morning....get another bolt or two, then back on this rig. If I don't get it finished tues...I'm sure hoping wed!!!!

pl521sss is going to loan me his hubs and the 2 arms so I can mock up the water jet cut brackets when they come in. I still need to finish the artwork, but I want to get this rig on the road and make sure they actually work!! :)

There's still a ton of work to do with some other areas of these "kits". Once I get this one on the road and tested a bit, I'll probably start looking for deposits to cover the hard costs and to show me exactly who's serious and who's just wishing :)

I hesitate to put $ amounts out there, but the numbers I'm shooting for are $50 for the hub turning + $15 return shipping...total $65.

Brackets, bearing spacers, bolts, loctite, SAE-metric line adapters.....$270 + $15 shipping. If I send your hubs back with the kit, the shipping will definitely be less....I'm thinking it will all fit in the large priority flat rate box for just under $15.

I'll probably have m/c pushrods available, but as Pete Peters pointed out to me today....the guys with R or L series engines in their rigs may have some trouble getting the dual res m/c to mount up. I can't prototype anything for that with out having one here to work with. You could run them(I'm certainly not advocating this!!!!) with the stock m/c and an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear circuit, but it wouldn't be safe. If there's any kind of leak at all, it will run out of fluid quickly. Plus, the stock m/c has such a small bore, there would be a ton of pedal travel when doing a hard stop. Would probably feel like power brakes though!

....oh....and the hubs need to be cleaned first!!! Leave the races in, but keep the grease :) Cleaning the hubs out is certainly a job that can be done by the owner :) I hate cleaning parts, so expect a $15 charge if I have to clean them!! :) Not sure it's legal to mail them with the grease in .......so all the way around it's better for them to be cleaned first :)

Mike, please count me in at those prices.

Since we're planning on putting some miles on our 411, it stands to reason that we'll want some good stuff hauling it down to a stop.

When deposit-time comes, please let me know, and PayPal will be en route.

I ordered these yesterday from Oil Filter Services(OFS) and they called today saying they were in! Sweet! What these are is a SAE to metric adapter. So...I won't need to cut/flare a metric nut onto the end of the brake line to make this work. This will also work for connecting the m/c to the lines....but with the way they're bent....might just need to replace them anyway.

This little piece makes the wheel well part of things a bolt in. You can run a stock HB line and the stock hardline. Win/win!

100_5336.jpg

OFS, is this an online merchant, Mike?

What's the part number and how much was it?

Are you willing to ship to Canada at my expense?

Never done it before....you can pm me to let me know what it's going to involve.

Freaking AMAZING.

Mike, I got behind on some projects, but I would LOVE to convert "Alice" with this setup.

I can't have her down for too long, as I want to drive her to JCCS. But if you think you can use these hubs, I'd love to send you a check and a box of greasy parts!

How long before JCCS?

OFS, is this an online merchant, Mike?

What's the part number and how much was it?

I picked them up at Oil Filter Services in Portland....about $3ea.

On their receipt they have a 302-10 number...which I'm sure is an in house number, but the description is

10mm x 1 MIF x 3/16 FIF ADPT.

Thanks. A big reason I try to post as many of the details and processes as possible is so that, hopefully, other owners might be less intimidated by this kind of thing. Maybe they'll come up with even better stuff....or different applications. It's like the 4 minute mile. It was a time they thought no man could break....but once the first guy did it, everyone saw it could be done....after that, lot's of guys broke the 4 min barrier the next year. Not that this is anywhere near as significant as the 4 min mile :)

About 10 years ago, I went to a friends house for the first time. He was working on his '68ish Nova. He was hand building a set of disc brake brackets for it. My comment was..."You can do that?" ...his response was "Ya, why not? It's just a piece of steel." Up to that point, I had always thought that kind of design/engineering/fabricating was rocket science, so I had never considered the possibility that I could do it. That epiphany stayed with me for a few years until we got Paula's 521. I knew it could be done....I just had to figure out how. I spent better than a $1000 and well over 100 hours trying different scrapyard setups. Paid for machine work and parts that never panned out. Anyway....I have a much better idea of what to look for now and what will and won't work.....so the process is much faster now :) These brakes use the G20 stuff because Icehouse asked the question...why not a non-captured rotor? So...if you read the thread from the beginning, you'll see that everything changed and there's several tweaks, as well. I want to make sure that guys know that it's okay to change their mind. Don't get tunnel vision when designing. Just because I could make it work with the 280zx stuff, didn't mean that was the best way. Heck.....this version may still not be the best way, but most of the other options beyond this are way too expensive. This is a workable setup that's affordable and ought to stop this small car very quickly :) Anyway.......

Another reason I do it.......I absolutely love the nitty-gritty how-to details I find in other threads on the internet.....kinda my way of thanking the net-community for everything I've gotten from them :)

I haven't had anything to eat since about 6am....so this is going to be really short!!

HOLY FRIGGIN' COW!!! Nearly put Brian into the dash!! ...but first....some of the last few pics....then maybe more later...or in the morning....I'm completely beat!!

Huge Thanks to Brian for helping mount up the m/c and bleed all the brakes!!! I was toast, so I really appreciated that he was jumping up and down off the floor to do the bleeding! :)

I bought a 110mm bolt(8mmx1.25mmx110mm gr10.9) for the push rod. You can round the end in a drill on a grinder....the round end spreads the load more evenly and allows for slight alignment differences.

100_0013.jpg

100_0017.jpg

100_0019.jpg

100_0020.jpg

I may do more of a how-to on brake line stuff a bit later.....didn't feel like waiting for all the pics to load. Here's a couple of what the 410 got. I've seen the brake lines that Michael Spreadbury does on his roadsters......these aren't even in the ballpark!!! They didn't look quite as pretty once I had to tweak them into position. But...they're in and they work :)

100_0028.jpg

100_0057.jpg

100_0061.jpg

100_0063.jpg

100_0069.jpg

100_0072.jpg

So...I had to make a spacer to put behind Doug's wheels. I looked at a couple other rims and I don't think they will all have an issue. His rims are really close....only needed about .080" to clear....but the brake drum I turned was almost .200". They were pretty tight fit to the hub too! We measured the lug engagement....we had about 6 turns of nut engagement.

Anyway.....the vid is very impromptu and doesn't really show much. I only got up to about 30mph.....just enough to make sure that they didn't pull and more importantly....that they stopped!! I didn't drive it with the other brakes, so the final opinion will come from the owner. I'm anxious to hear what he thinks. That may not happen until saturday. Whew.....it's done!!!!!

..hhmm....upload going slow...I'll put it up later :)

Word back from Doug is that he loves the brakes and they stop great!!!!

I'm going to take a break for a few days, then I'll start back up on them. I'll mock things up once more to finalized the art...start seriously talking about deposits...then when they start to come in, I'll send the art off to get brackets cut...hopefully, get a chance to work on Mend while waiting for the brackets :)

• 2 weeks later...