I just bought a looks-great-from-10-feet 280ZX and I'm excited for my new life of "sorry, you want parts for a what?" and getting confused when people call it a Nissan and also posting project updates here!
Things that are good:
- exterior in remarkably good condition although there are repaired dings and a full second coat of paint over that
- the guy I bought it from says it's all original except for the carpet in the back and so far that checks out
- Haynes manual came with it :okay hand:
- interior also in remarkably good condition
- I thought it would be louder than my daily but I'm pretty sure it's quieter
Things that are less good:
- got some rot on the right side behind the front wheel that I'm gonna have to keep a close eye on
- that second coat of paint is peeling up under the tail lights and there's a missing badge that's left damage behind
- driver's side doesn't lock from the outside but like, a motivated two year old could break into this car
- the air cleaner/intake assembly doesn't like to stay together but the fault is before the air cleaner so it's probably Fine For Now
- Suspicious Spatters around some fittings in the engine bay but nothing very fresh looking
- back hatch leaks like a sieve and it's somehow accumulating inside the hatch
The plan right now
- simple green the heck out of the engine bay and see what splatters/congeals
- fix the leaky hatch asap
- take the door card off and have a look at the lock and see if it's a broken plastic bit that I can fix
- see if I can beer can that exhaust leak into passing emissions the first time (unlikely on both accounts)
The long term plan
- restomod probably, I like the way it looks but some future tech might do it some good
- snowflake wheels, but only after I have a plan for the suspension because right now it slouches around like my old minivan and I think we can do better than that
- rust prevention on the underside
- ???? it's too clean on the inside, I almost feel bad putting my filthy little hands on it
- keep an eye on Noll's build and roadkill2525's GT ideas
...and I'm still getting hearts in my eyes any time I look at it.
No pictures for now because I don't have any sexy ones and also I'm still doing the song and dance for the inspection people and it's been in their lot collecting pollen since the day after I brought it home.
And uh, since I'm new here. Hi, I'm Dylan, I live in Maryland, my daily is an 2005 Acura RSX named Milkshake, and this is gonna be my first whole car project.