Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

18 OK

About Melkor

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location
    South Lake Tahoe
  • Cars
    1986 Nissan 720 Z24i 4x4

Recent Profile Visitors

967 profile views
  1. Figured that was the case even if they had the same(ish) engine. Haven't yet bothered to put a pressure gauge on it, but I suppose that's another avenue to try and diagnose this issue, or any other fuel-related issues. I'd honestly give it good odds on both being if not completely bad, then pretty trashed at this point. From what I've heard modern gas is hell on the seals/o-rings due to the ethanol, and I have no idea when the last time they were changed out/cleaned/repaired was. Haven't even swapped out one of the old injectors with the one I managed to get my hands on. Was really waitin
  2. So I'm 99% sure my fuel injectors are at least partly the cause of my 720 losing all power when going uphill considering it's basically one of the last options left to check/replace. The problem is that while I managed to snag one new injector off of Ebay in a stroke of absurd luck, I cannot for the life of me find a second. Is it possible to use the D21's injectors? I'm aware they both have the Z24i engine and have a few swap-able parts, but other than that...no idea about cross-compatibility as far as this is concerned. Or if someone has an idea of where to find one/wants to sell one that'd
  3. Right, well I thought I had solved the fuel check valve at least, but apparently not. The one I ordered was too big to fit the lines. Now, there are a few listed on Ebay, but I'd rather not shell over 70+ dollars. Anyone know the actual size on this? I'm guessing 1/4 or 5/16, but I'd like to double check before buying again.
  4. Looks like I probably misread something, because upon disassembling my spare cluster it seems that the 720 version is a lot simpler, since there are no bulbs tied to the speedo/tach themselves. Just plug and play the whole way through. Sure does make things a lot simpler.
  5. So, finally got tired of not being able to see half my stuff at night, particularly the speedometer. Anyone know what kind of bulbs are required for a 720 gauge cluster? Digging out some of the (apparently original) Toshiba bulbs lists the larger as 158, and the smaller as 74, while I've heard the 158 is superseded by 194, but I'd like to double check just to be sure, as well as get some recommendations on any particular style of LED that might work well with the cluster. No idea about the lights that are apparently behind the speedo/tach however.
  6. So upon further searching and comparing with the Z24i service manual, the pressure does have to be 14 psi, it appears the others talking about 45 psi were referring to the Z motors in the D21. Found this on the Holley website and it appears to be right for the pressure I need, but does the Z24i use 3/8" NPT or 6AN? And the valve above the tank that some people I know suggested I delete is in fact the fuel check valve/rollover valve, and after scouring the internet again I found some that might be compatible, but...well, same question as above really. 3/8" or
  7. Melkor

    Camper Shell

    Time Left: 2 days and 20 hours

    • WANTED
    • USED

    Looking for a camper shell that will fit an 86 720 ST, standard cab. Iirc it was 6 foot from front to tailgate, and four foot eight inches from side to side.


    South Lake Tahoe, California

  8. Well yes, I wasn't talking about deleting the FPR, just the rollover valve/thing that keeps gas from spilling if you flip over/whatever you want to call it. As for the link, I've already looked at that one and it's for a different engine, mine is the Z24i. Thanks though, didn't expect a response so quickly.
  9. So I've been looking around for a new fuel injector pressure regulator for my truck, and Holley seems to be the brand most people recommend... But. I've read different things when it comes to the PSI, with some people saying it should be 14 psi (which the manual suggests) and others say that since it's fuel injected it needs 45 psi. There's also a load of different Holley regulators in general, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding which one would actually fit the truck... I'm also having trouble finding what appears to be the roll over
  10. Yep, had that problem when trying to find break shoes/drums, must've ordered them two times before taking extremely careful measurements of the old ones and scouring RockAuto for ones that would fit, 2wd/Rwd designation be damned. Auto parts are rather frustrating to order honestly, since there's no telling if said part will actually fit or not until it arrives. Which is why I'm just going to pay the guy working on it at the moment to weld/cut it into the proper shape, rather than play the guessing game on if this or this is the right pipe for my truck, because despite the label of bei
  11. Pretty much yeah, need one to pass smog in California. Funnily enough after making this thread the guy currently working on my truck offered to fabricate/weld one together when I brought it up, so that problem is (maybe) solved. Even offered to bring my truck to the smog guys across the street from his shop after doing so since he used to be a smog guy way back in the day, and they know each other, which will (hopefully) make the whole process easier. Though on the downside the downpipe I ordered didn't fit properly, so it'll be a few days before he can do that since he has to c
  12. ^Title. Anyone know where I can find one for an 86 720 pickup? It feels like I've looked everywhere at this point, and I'd rather not have to buy a (non-CARB compliant) manifold just for the heat shield it comes with.
  13. Eh, worth a shot. It does seem like all the 4x4 breaks are 2 1/4+ inches wide, whereas mine are 1 3/4. So either the guy who owned the truck before me swapped some stuff out, or RockAuto is listing their stuff wrong. Looks like the BENDIX 571 shoes will fit though, at 10" X 1.77". Or the RAYBESTOS 527PG, since they're on sale and I've heard good things about them.
  14. Right, so I've had a devil of a time trying to find new brake shoes for my truck. Must've ordered at least three sets and sent 'em back because despite the claims of various websites, they did not in fact fit. Though at least I found good Drums on the second try. Anyone know where I can find ones that will? I measure the brakes out at 1 3/4 inches wide, but a lot of the ones I can find that actually seem like they might work are for RWD while mine is 4wd, and the 4wd ones listed are too wide. Does it really even matter as long as they fit?
  15. Good to know, shouldn't be too hard. But yeah, I'm pretty sure the guy who owned it before me or my uncle did messed with the wiring something fierce. He was a mechanic, but apparently a terrible one judging by the state of the truck when my uncle first bought it. Edit: Success! Took a bit of finagling, but I can finally see my oil pressure. Very happy the gauge wasn't also toast. Though I'm at a loss on how to tighten the sensor with a wrench/whatever after getting it as far as I (carefully) could by hand. It doesn't appear to be leaking at the moment, but I'll wa
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.